• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rates being Surpressed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rates being Surpressed?

Thinking of getting a new role before renewal

Saw role I liked- applied, agency called - rate was XXX / day. £100 to low so I said it wouldntbe worth it for me.

Get a call 20 mins later- they will put me forward for xxx + 100 per day

What the hell?

They are 'blocking'.

They are ensuring you do not go for the role through another agency but will not put you forward because there are others who will go for the XXX / day.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Do you reckon? but they told me the client and everything.

Id also apply via someone else as well so it prob wouldnt matter ?

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
        Do you reckon? but they told me the client and everything.

Id also apply via someone else as well so it prob wouldnt matter ?
        Likely you'll never know.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Not everyone has a cast-iron figure for what they're going to spend when they go shopping. Maybe they named a price, and are now finding it was too low for what they want, so they're having to be more realistic.

Comment

Yes rates are being suppressed (generally but not all of the time).
            There are less contract roles about so the agents up their percentage to cover the agency shortfall. This has been discussed many times just look on Jobswerve (when it's up and compare the rates of the same roles with different agencies. I bet that it will take you only a few days to find some examples yourself. Another trick is the agent contacting you a few days before the interview to discuss the lowering of your rate in line with the other applicants. What a load of baloney!
            Case in hand. Last Wednesday I was contacted by agent prior to my interview on Friday to discuss the lowing of my rate for the role from £380 per day to £350 in order to "bring me in line with the other applicants because they are interviewing the cheapest first". B*ll*cks !
            I said no, went to interview and was offered the role - which I turned down because there is something more profitable coming up. If that's you Mr SC, Solaris contractor about to start a role in Reading then apparently we were very close at interview but I was given the contract due to "taking along pictures" - but enjoy the contract it looks like a long one.

Now I should have then turned around to the agent and had the same conversation back to him. "Hello Mr Agent. Would you like to raise the daily rate of the role in line with the other contracts available in the market"
            of course I didn't because I am a professional. Yes Mr Agent a big word, look it up the meaning.

Are rates being suppressed - of course they are.
            Moral of the situation - Grow balls and stick to your daily rate.
            Best of luck all in the contract hunt.
            Last edited by s2budd; 15 July 2009, 15:03.

Comment

well ive stuck to my guns so lets see.

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Keep us informed, but only do so when you've learned how to write in legible English please.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    Keep us informed, but only do so when you've learned how to write in legible English please.
                    I love your posts. I wish you'd dedicate a whole site to yourself.

Comment

Working...
                    X