• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you have a strong regional accent ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have a strong regional accent ?

Does anyone here have trouble making themselves understood because of a strong accent ?

When I go to my home town, they all accuse me of being 'posh' and being a traitor

At the clients they all say 'what, what, what did he say ? scouse git'

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Some of my Canadian slang catches people out as well...they look at each other as if I've insulted them. ha ha
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
      Some of my Canadian slang catches people out as well...they look at each other as if I've insulted them. ha ha
      heh heh.

I recently found out what 'keep six' means

blooming kanooks

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

My accent varies. If I'm in my home county, or with people from there, I'll speak with a strong accent. Mostly though, I use my "speaking to foreigners" accent.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Yes.

Next.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I was trying to book flights last night, over the phone with a middle eastern lady - she couldn't understand me and I couldn't understand her - we were in stitches trying to spell things to each other - in the end himself had to do that daft alphabet thing for me - alpha, bravo etc so we could get the flights booked
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
              eh

Comment

I am from Lancashire so have no accent at all, but the rest of you have.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by snaw View Post
                  Yes.

Next.
                  Regional accent my ar$e I could have sworn you were a southern shandy drinking ar$e chaser. How long you been away from the motherland?
                  "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Not really. Probably watched too much BBC as a child.

There's a hint of the valleys that comes across stronger after I've had a few.*

*Not valleys really, I'm from the other side of the fence that goes along the M4**

** Apologies to any valley folk. I'll buy you a Clarks pie if we ever meet up.

Comment

Working...
                    X