• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Desperately seeking SQL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desperately seeking SQL

Guys, been left in the lurch since the developer responsible has buggered off on holiday for five weeks. I need to get this done as soon as possible but I know very little about SQL.

Here's the scenario. Posgtresql database and one of the tables (shop_upgradecode), has this structure;

id integer
    NOT NULL
    nextval('shop_upgradecode_id_seq'::regclass)

product_id integer
    NOT NULL

code character varying(500)
    NOT NULL [uniq]

is_blacklisted boolean
    NOT NULL

was_used boolean
    NOT NULL

product_id will be 17

code is a list of 18,000 numbers like this 71938-47183-31335-71295-33203

is_blacklisted will be false

was_used will be false

What I have is a list of the code numbers that I need to get into the table but I haven't got a clue where to start. I would seriously appreciate any help to get this job done, kinda crucial to our operation.
    Me, me, me...

I don't personally work with Posgtresql, but are the code numbers held in say a spreadsheet or something?

If so, I would look to manually import the data and then use something like

INSERT VALUES (ProductID,Code,Is_BlackListed,was_used)
    SELECT 17,[Code],0,0 FROM ImportedCodeData

This assumes the import is a once off and you don't want to parameterise and put the sql into a stored proc or something?

Also, most sql databases stored boolean fields as BIT, hence the 0 for is_blacklisted and was_used. As I'm not familiar with Posgtresql, the data type of BOOLEAN might be valid and could take false instead

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
      I don't personally work with Posgtresql, but are the code numbers held in say a spreadsheet or something?

If so, I would look to manually import the data and then use something like

SELECT 17,[Code],0,0 FROM ImportedCodeData

This assumes the import is a once off and you don't want to parameterise and put the sql into a stored proc or something?

Also, most sql databases stored boolean fields as BIT, hence the 0 for is_blacklisted and was_used. As I'm not familiar with Posgtresql, the data type of BOOLEAN might be valid and could take false instead
      I have a text file with all the code numbers in a list, it will be a one off import of that list and then left alone.

I'm assuming that

SELECT 17,[Code],0,0 FROM ImportedCodeData <----------this is the text file?
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
        I have a text file with all the code numbers in a list, it will be a one off import of that list and then left alone.

I'm assuming that

SELECT 17,[Code],0,0 FROM ImportedCodeData <----------this is the text file?
        The ImportedCodeData should be the resulting table from the CSV File import. Take a look at http://www.ensode.net/postgresql_csv_import.html which uses the copy command to transfer data from a CSV file into a temporarily created table.

I would try something like

create table ImportedCodeData(Code varchar(500));
        copy ImportedCodeData from '/path/to/csv/codes.txt' DELIMITERS ',' CSV;

This should get the data into the ImportedCodeData table, after which you can insert the data using the original statement

As I said though, its all pure guesswork from me as I don't use POSTGRESQL!

Comment

For a one-off like this I'd probably put the list of code numbers into Excel column A.
          Then in cell B1, something like =CONCATENATE("insert into shop_upgradecode (ProductID,Code,Is_BlackListed,was_used) values (17, '", A1, "', false, false);")

then fill down column B.
          Then copy the 1800 INSERT statements into your SQL editor and run them in. 18000 should give you just enough time to get a cup of tea while it runs.

(I've used Oracle syntax - postgresql might be different)

Comment

I got it! Outstanding help guys
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Sorry, missed this one earlier.

For future reference type this at this PSQL prompt:

\h copy

more generally:

'\h' gives help on SQL syntax
              '\?' gives help on connecting to the database, changing directory etc.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
              X