• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sounds like Communist Moscow: Drivers face £5,000 penalty for using Olympic VIP lanes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like Communist Moscow: Drivers face £5,000 penalty for using Olympic VIP lanes

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...838469,00.html

"MOTORISTS who dare to stray into VIP lanes reserved for athletes and officials at the 2012 London Olympics face penalties of up to £5,000 under special powers sanctioned by the government.
    As many as 55,000 members of the “Olympic family”, including ministers, media and corporate sponsors, will be able to sweep past other traffic in scenes reminiscent of Moscow’s politburo-only Zil lanes.
    ",

the lanes will of course only be used by government following the olympics !

Milan.

Tin tacks? Sounds like your suggesting terrorist activities. Next we'll have people suggesting rocket propelled grenades.

But not at the athletes please.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Edinburgh council has recently started closing main streets with these retractable bollards that pop up at seemingly random times from 10.30am until about 8pm... causing nightmare traffic snarl ups (and now is a traditionally quiet time of year). Next stage will probably be congestion charging for the areas they have now forced cars into through their unneccessary meddling with the existing road network...

Im so glad I dont drive.
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        A couple of bags of tin tacks into the much vaunted exclusive lanes should slow that down a bit...
        Yeah !!

go for really strong mint flavour !!

That will sort them out
        Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

Sorry Z I forgot to add Boom Boom at the end of that post
          Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

"A couple of bags of tin tacks into the much vaunted exclusive lanes should slow that down a bit..."

I've always fancied those little star like spikes I saw 007 dropping out the back of his car in Tomorrow Never Dies, much more effective...if you don't have run-flat tyres apparently.

"Edinburgh council has recently started closing main streets with these retractable bollards that pop up at seemingly random times from 10.30am until about 8pm"

Saw something similar recently - maybe coming to the UK soon - where parts of a tram-lane were protected by such bollards that only go down when a tram approaches and gets the green light.

Actually with a bit of PFI you could put such things on every street corner and enable the automotive public to be herded about like a bunch of cattle on their way to the butchers....

Comment

In Moscow when they have olympics or G8 summit or something like this, they use police to forcibly remove bums from streets away from the city, even though technically they have constitutionally protected rights.

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
                Edinburgh council has recently started closing main streets with these retractable bollards that pop up at seemingly random times from 10.30am until about 8pm... causing nightmare traffic snarl ups (and now is a traditionally quiet time of year). Next stage will probably be congestion charging for the areas they have now forced cars into through their unneccessary meddling with the existing road network...

Im so glad I dont drive.
                I remember on the old CUK board a couple of years ago someone saying Edinburgh council had a mini-referendum on congestion charging, which come out with a resounding "no" contrary to the council's wishes, and I predicted they would turn spiteful and try to snarl up the traffic with road closures and bus lanes etc etc to show how misguided the peasant public are to thwart the council's wise and farsighted plans to rake in money (oops, sorry, to optimize traffic flow or something) ...
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
                  "A couple of bags of tin tacks into the much vaunted exclusive lanes should slow that down a bit..."

I've always fancied those little star like spikes I saw 007 dropping out the back of his car in Tomorrow Never Dies, much more effective...if you don't have run-flat tyres apparently
                  I think they're called caltraps. They used to be used in medievil times against cavalry.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Caltrops....

And yes OwlHoot you are quite right, the referendum was totally against the councils plans... but hey, at least they saved money by not just asking the question until they got the answer they wanted... unlike EU referendums... they just ignored what the people wnated. A friend owns a Jewellry shop in one of the affected areas, and he says trade has dropped about 30% year on year...

See, democracy works....
                    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Working...
                    X