• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Certification For Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Certification For Contractors

So if you had to choose a certificate to do to give you that edge what would it be now?

I m in finance with a computer science background - I have been a quant developer since I graduated five years ago and just got a contract gig.

I am now seriously thinking f doing a statics certificate or Prince2? I have heard that being Java2 certified or C# certified is not very valuable

Is this the case? What certificate would you do if you had too?

Cyberman got 96% in his spoon licking exam

Comment

I always mention my Bronze Swimming Certificate.

HTH
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
        I always mention my Bronze Swimming Certificate.

HTH
        BSc
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Seriously - Do people find certification useful to secure a new role ???

Someone help a newbie here.....

Comment

10m swimming badge sewed to your Speedos.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post

Of course. Take whatever certification you like and then you can go walk into any of the thousands of jobs that are screaming for spotty faced 'erks with a certificate and no experience.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by joey122 View Post

I apply for roles that ask for certification I don't have, I sometimes call the agent if I am really interested in the role (good rate/location). Never turned down because of certification, usually because I don't have a skill. If your CV matches the role, I don't think they care, just HR covering their ass.
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I think it's now called 'sectioned' rather than 'certified'.
                  How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                  Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

My GCSE in woodwork never comes in handy
                    'elf and safety guru

Comment

Working...
                    X