• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Substitution Clause

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Substitution Clause

Just been reading my contract and it has the following in place:

1) The Company will be entitled to send a substitute or delegate of the Consultant after client acceptance to undertake the services to be provided.

Is this sufficient for IR35 or is the 'client acceptance' part a problem here?

The wording could be tightened up a bit but I wouldn't get to hung up about these clauses, they have little bearing on IR35.

Comment

Sufficient? No.
      As much as you can generally expect to get? Yes

Contract clauses can put one inside IR35 scope but they cannot get you out of it, that's up the working practices
      Last edited by Not So Wise; 29 July 2009, 12:38.

Comment

It's certainly not good enough as it stands. I would change it to:

The Company will be entitled to send a substitute or delegate of the Consultant to undertake the services to be provided. The client may satisfy itself that any such replacement is sufficiently skilled, qualified and experienced.

A dodgy substitution clause won't have 'little bearing'. Whilst the actual working practices are more important these days, substitution is usually hypothetical so the written terms will potentially have a bit more of a bearing than normal.
        Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

so what's the difference between "the client may satisfy itself" and "after client acceptance"?

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            so what's the difference between "the client may satisfy itself" and "after client acceptance"?
            First is optional clause client may choose to invoke, second you must have client acceptance

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              Nothing. However, the adjustment I suggested lists the specific grounds for approval, all of which are reasonable. Simply stating 'client approval' could mean anything.
              Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Working...
              X