• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Romania, German Agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Romania, German Agency

Hello,

I've read all the German tax posts on here but none seem to fit my case.

A German agency is recruiting Joe for a German IT company delivering services to a Romanian end-client in Romania.

The contract will be for 6 months. Joe will be a consultant for the German IT company delivering services to the Romanian end-client in Romania.

The agency has suggested I join a German management company to handle payments from the agency in Germany.

i.e. Joe-German MC-German Agency-German IT company

The consensus on the boards seems to be German management companies are rather dodgey and should be avoided.

Can I bill using my UK Ltd company? Whatabout Romanian taxes?

I'm very confused now...

Originally posted by JoeHo View Post
    Whatabout Romanian taxes?
    Romania taxation bureaucracy is high and very complicated. I am sure you will consume all your time not for working but for bureaucratic things. If you are going to stay only for 6 months(or even more) don't register in Romania, "stay like a tourist". As an example in Romania if you are moving from a city to another you must to register in the new city but nobody does that.

Comment

Where are you currently resident

Originally posted by JoeHo View Post
      Hello,

I've read all the German tax posts on here but none seem to fit my case.

A German agency is recruiting Joe for a German IT company delivering services to a Romanian end-client in Romania.

The contract will be for 6 months. Joe will be a consultant for the German IT company delivering services to the Romanian end-client in Romania.

The agency has suggested I join a German management company to handle payments from the agency in Germany.

i.e. Joe-German MC-German Agency-German IT company

The consensus on the boards seems to be German management companies are rather dodgey and should be avoided.

Can I bill using my UK Ltd company? Whatabout Romanian taxes?

I'm very confused now...
      Where are you currently tax resident?
      Have you considered double taxation implication.
      In some European countries in order to claim double taxation relief you need to prove that you were actually in the country that you are claiming relief.
      Claiming relief from German tax but being in Romania may create a problem if
      your are not a German tax resident.

Comment

If you are not in Germany for the duration of the project, why are you worried about German tax? I would invoice from your UK company, there's no way the Germans would be able to claim anything from you personally, or as a company.

Romanian taxation is another issue. For the sake of 6 months, I would "fly under the radar" and try not get involved in taxation there. However, to do this I wouldn't be signing any apartment lease contracts or the like...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

If you are not in Germany there are no German tax implications. German agencies aren't a problem it is UK agencies that cause German tax problems, with the management co's they work with. You will probably find that provided you don't stay more than 6 months that you can charge through your Ltd and pay UK tax. You can't pay no tax at all unless you give up your UK residency, and say become a Cayman Islands resident.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            If you are not in Germany there are no German tax implications. German agencies aren't a problem it is UK agencies that cause German tax problems, with the management co's they work with. You will probably find that provided you don't stay more than 6 months that you can charge through your Ltd and pay UK tax. You can't pay no tax at all unless you give up your UK residency, and say become a Cayman Islands resident.
            You could make everone happy and register in the Cayman Islands as GmbH.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
            X