• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giant troubles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giant troubles

Hi All

I was with GIANT before I started my limited company last year, I recently contacted them to get some info from the last 3 years as I got a letter stating that I may have pay to much tax. When I requested the info about my previous contracts they said they had no information anymore and that it was removed because I was no longer with them. aAre they not meant to keep financial information for about 6 years by law?!? they kept telling me they changed there name every time I told them they have to have some sort of record..

Is there anything I can do or say to get my info from them

Thanks

They were acting as your payroll agent. You are ultimately responsible for safe guarding all necessary records. For example you will have been sent payslips, contracts and other documents which you should have kept.

When you end a relationship with an agent that is it - ended. They are no longer obliged to look after your affairs.

Comment

Giant trouble? Have you tried this young chap down the road? Called Jack, does a nice line in beans I believe.

sorry, sorry, it's nearly Friday OK?

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
        They were acting as your payroll agent. You are ultimately responsible for safe guarding all necessary records. For example you will have been sent payslips, contracts and other documents which you should have kept.

When you end a relationship with an agent that is it - ended. They are no longer obliged to look after your affairs.
        They are not obliged to help their previous customers with their tax affairs, but :-

They are obliged to keep records for 6 years. Hector would crucify them if they didn't

They are also obliged under the Data Protection Act to individuals any information that they hold about them.

As your relationship to the umbrella is one of an individual rather than a business I am sure the DPA must apply.

They must have the information. Submit a Subject Access Request under the DPA (costs a tenner). Whether it will give you sufficient detail is another matter, but it is your legal right to make that request and they should respond.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
          They are not obliged to help their previous customers with their tax affairs, but :-

They are obliged to keep records for 6 years. Hector would crucify them if they didn't

They are also obliged under the Data Protection Act to individuals any information that they hold about them.

As your relationship to the umbrella is one of an individual rather than a business I am sure the DPA must apply.

They must have the information. Submit a Subject Access Request under the DPA (costs a tenner). Whether it will give you sufficient detail is another matter, but it is your legal right to make that request and they should respond.
          I was soooo wrong - this man has solved completely your problem. Just quote DPA. No you never need to keep any records of your own cos you can always spin the DPA thing at them and they will fully cooperate and solve your problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
            I was soooo wrong - this man has solved completely your problem. Just quote DPA. No you never need to keep any records of your own cos you can always spin the DPA thing at them and they will fully cooperate and solve your problems.
            I didn't say that the OP shouldn't be keeping his own records. Nor did I say that the DPA would neccessarily solve his problem.

But the fact remains that he has the legal right to demand the information and Giant is legally obliged to provide it.

The fact that the OP has been lax with his tax affairs isn't the issue.

Comment

As has previously been stated, you were an employee of the umbrella company.

They should have sent you payslips when they paid you and also a form P60 at the end of the tax year which gives totals for the tax year.

This is the stuff that you should have kept to enable you to sort out your tax now.

This is no different from any other employee. I can't believe people can go through life without understanding this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by amure1 View Post
                Hi All

I was with GIANT before I started my limited company last year, I recently contacted them to get some info from the last 3 years as I got a letter stating that I may have pay to much tax. When I requested the info about my previous contracts they said they had no information anymore and that it was removed because I was no longer with them. aAre they not meant to keep financial information for about 6 years by law?!? they kept telling me they changed there name every time I told them they have to have some sort of record..

Is there anything I can do or say to get my info from them

Thanks
                They do advise you to print out everything when you leave which i did, i too have had problems with paying too much tax whilst with them (they had me setup paying 'weekly' tax on 'monthly' income and they were very very unhelpful when I realised, i just gave up in the end as the composite company i had got closed so it was sort of tough luck by that point. I sooo hate them.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
                  I can't believe people can go through life without understanding this stuff.
                  I do not understand why the national curriculum does not seem to include:
                  - how to do a CV;
                  - applying for jobs;
                  - different ways of working;
                  - how tax works;
                  - how government works;
                  - how to read your payslip;
                  - how to manage a household budget.

Generally, if people aren't told, they don't know. If they aren't told then need to know, they don't know they need to know.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    I do not understand why the national curriculum does not seem to include:
                    - how to do a CV;
                    - applying for jobs;
                    - different ways of working;
                    - how tax works;
                    - how government works;
                    - how to read your payslip;
                    - how to manage a household budget.

Generally, if people aren't told, they don't know. If they aren't told then need to know, they don't know they need to know.
                    I was taught about all that at school, along with buying a house and getting a mortgage.

The lessons were called "Life Skills". This was in the days before the National Curriculum so I suppose it was the choice of the school.

Comment

Working...
                    X