• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Euro Account Payments

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro Account Payments

Hello,

I'm currently working (luckily) in Slovakia and raising Invoices in Euro. I have a Euro Account in the UK so my payments are received in Euro.

HMRC states that Euro amounts should be converted to Sterling both on the Invoice Date and the Payment Receipt Date. Any difference in exchange rates can then be logged as gain or loss (see quote at end of post)

However, I am planning a future move to Spain and would like to keep most of the money in Euros (who knows what will happen with Sterling). I have two questions:

1. Should an exchange rate loss/gain between invoice date and payment receipt date be logged even if the money isn't actually exchanged?

2. If I pay out salary or dividend in Euros what exchange rate date should I use given that the money isn't actually being exchanged?

Thanks in advance!
    Alistair

HMRC quote, from: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/euro/faqs_indiv.htm#1d
    "2. If you invoice a business customer for 200 euro, then use the spot rate for that day to convert to sterling for your accounts, and when you receive payment of 200 euro, then use the spot rate for that day to convert. Any difference in the two sterling amounts is an exchange rate loss or gain that should be reflected in your accounts."

Sounds quite straightforwards to me:
    1. Yes, it has nothing to do with the cash - it is so your accounts are all done in Sterling.

2. Use the exchange rate for that day to enter them into your accounts.

Comment

Working...
    X