• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can not claiming enough expenses arouse suspicion?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can not claiming enough expenses arouse suspicion?

Or rephrased if you do not claim the "right" type of expenses could that trigger an alarm? IE could the revenue think this is not a standard company if things like stationery and other similar business related costs are not claimed for because you're just sat in an office somewhere?

I currently try to keep my expenses extremely minimal thinking this would keep me under the radar.

if you are that worried about it get someone to give you some till receipts from Rymans or WH Smiths
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by Dandyman View Post
      I currently try to keep my expenses extremely minimal thinking this would keep me under the radar.
      Mug.

Go large with the expense claims. Collect receipts for everything in sight and nick a few from others. Your accountant will throw out the worst and argue with the T-man about the rest.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I think you're being overly paranoid. Wouldn't Hector actually be more happy that you're not claiming all your valid expenses because you'll be paying Corp Tax on it?

Comment

That's what I thought, less claimed = less potential likelihood of investigation in future, this is what my accountant is advising me though!

Comment

That's what I thought, less claimed = less potential likelihood of investigation in future, this is what my accountant is advising me though!
            but think like a business, it would look very dodgy if a plumber took home pretty much all his revenue. If you are a proper business then you will have expenses. For most of us that is probably just PAYE, travel, insurance and perhaps some professional costs (subscriptions etc). If it all goes down to the bottom line it could look a fair bit like you are an employee.

Comment

Dandyman

I dont think you can manage your business like this and keep below the radar.

You dont know what the radar is looking for and how high it is aimed at.

Some things we do know, late filing, incorrect returns etc.. will all attract interest.

Profit levels, salary to div ratios are all things that HMRC are not going to say if they are using as radar or not.

I think that if you have legitimate expenses then claim them, if you dont then you have nothing to claim.

Not claiming anything may make an accountants work much easier, less figures to do.

I agree very much with being a real business and claiming a real business expense, and long term think that HMRC compliant trading like this would be preferable.

If you are worried about an investigation, but happy with what you are claiming , use tax investigation insurance so you can defend any HMRc interest. Its included with PCG membership and also with some accountants.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by PhilAtBFCA View Post
                Dandyman

I dont think you can manage your business like this and keep below the radar.

You dont know what the radar is looking for and how high it is aimed at.

Some things we do know, late filing, incorrect returns etc.. will all attract interest.

Profit levels, salary to div ratios are all things that HMRC are not going to say if they are using as radar or not.

I think that if you have legitimate expenses then claim them, if you dont then you have nothing to claim.

Not claiming anything may make an accountants work much easier, less figures to do.

I agree very much with being a real business and claiming a real business expense, and long term think that HMRC compliant trading like this would be preferable.

If you are worried about an investigation, but happy with what you are claiming , use tax investigation insurance so you can defend any HMRc interest. Its included with PCG membership and also with some accountants.

Phil
                Very well put

I have a PDF of a taxi receipt if you want to up your travel expenses

I ll post it on here when I het home

unless some other frendly contractor beats me to it

Comment

Or rephrased if you do not claim the "right" type of expenses could that trigger an alarm? IE could the revenue think this is not a standard company if things like stationery and other similar business related costs are not claimed for because you're just sat in an office somewhere?

So are you
                  • Keeping expenditure to a minimum? (this is a good thing)
                  • Not claiming from your company things that you have bought out of your own pocket? (this is a silly thing)

There should be no problems claiming anything so long as it was a legitimate and allowable business expense for operating your company.

I do remember seeing someone post on here that they had been told that the reason that they kept being investigated was because of their high expenses.

To put that in context they had claimed the rent for a flat near to one of their gigs. HMRC challenged this but their accountant was able to persuade them that it was allowable.

Comment

I don't claim because I have little to make a valid claim for except my monthly
                    accountant fees. Have been at the same site over 2 years now so no travel expenses permissable, and I'm fairly sure IR35 will be a problem, thinking of coming out of this soon anyway and going to PAYE for peace of mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X