• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best (and cheapest) way to patent ideas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best (and cheapest) way to patent ideas

Hi, I have a few ideas which I would like to patent.

I know that this can potentially cost a huge amount of money once the lawyers are involved.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to do this please? I want the filing to be as professional as possible, without being hit by huge fees.

Any help appreciated,

PB.

Tell me the idea and I'll patent it on your behalf

Free that is.

Comment

UK filing fee is something like £200, but that does not include costs like researching existing patents, agent fee's so forth

Pan European patent would be in the region of £30,000

World wide patent protection would be 6 to 7 figures

And all that's only to get the patent, if you find someone breaking your patent (in an country where your patent is valid) you will be looking at stumping up hundreds of thousands to millions of your own money to defend it while hoping you can win so you can get the money back

So unless you are reasonably sure your idea is actually worth millions it's not worth patenting

Ps: as this is an IT contractor board, have to add just in case, if your idea is software related, many/most countries don't accept or recognise software patents (only exception I can think of is USA, UK still debating it)

Comment

What do you mean idea?, unless it is a very specific technical or scientific invention you can forget it, quite often the "ideas" behind the patents can be implemented without infringing the original one.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
          UK filing fee is something like £200, but that does not include costs like researching existing patents, agent fee's so forth

Pan European patent would be in the region of £30,000

World wide patent protection would be 6 to 7 figures

And all that's only to get the patent, if you find someone breaking your patent (in an country where your patent is valid) you will be looking at stumping up hundreds of thousands to millions of your own money to defend it while hoping you can win so you can get the money back

So unless you are reasonably sure your idea is actually worth millions it's not worth patenting

Ps: as this is an IT contractor board, have to add just in case, if your idea is software related, many/most countries don't accept or recognise software patents (only exception I can think of is USA, UK still debating it)
          are you sure about the indicative european and world wide costs?

Ive seen ideas and things being patented on a global level from people that clearly dont even have 2k to spare..but somehow get their idea patented?

Comment

Working...
          X