• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taxman is not blameless for non-compliant umbrellas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxman is not blameless for non-compliant umbrellas

Interesting article by Bob Jones on CUK front page.

It highlights to me the unfortunate fact that in some cases the problem is that the law is plain wrong at its base. Obviously we would expect HMRC to uphold the law even if it is wrong.

Example: as Bob says, someone who has 4 different assignments in a year is regarded as having 4 different jobs in a year. There seems to be no room for the person who is making one single career out of one short assignment after another.

To me it is nothing short of ridiculous to say that such a person has 4 careers every year, one after the other, for each of which he can be expected to move hos home close to the place of work.

No point in trying to find a loophole within that misguided law. If the law supposes that, the law is a ass.

The 24 month rule is actually very sensible for permies, it only goes a bit pear-shaped when applied to contractiors. The real issue these days is a spin-off from the HMRC's study of umbrella expenses: they have come to the not unreasonable conclusion that an umbrella user's permanent place of work is wherever they happen to be working at that time, since they clearly don't have any other one, unlike LtdCo guys who can rightly claim their registered office is their permanent place of work. Hence not only does the 24 month rule go out the window for brolly users, so does any idea of claiming any travel or susbsistence.

This one may run and run. Good excuse to rethink getting your own comapny though...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      Example: as Bob says, someone who has 4 different assignments in a year is regarded as having 4 different jobs in a year. There seems to be no room for the person who is making one single career out of one short assignment after another.
      This law may have made sense when you could actually find a job close to home, but even then it was flawed for the case mentioned. As anyone here who started their careers in or near places with a large manufacturing base, that is no longer true.

To me it is nothing short of ridiculous to say that such a person has 4 careers every year, one after the other, for each of which he can be expected to move hos home close to the place of work.
      Isn't it devised by Londoners who have no concept of being forced to relocate for work?

Of course we could all move to the South East, house prices there would boom, and we'd all be in the money!

Er, hang on a moment...
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

My point is not whether one should be expected to move for one's job, it is that "working at one place after another" can be a single job. It is ridiculous to insist that each place is a different job.

Comment

My point is not whether one should be expected to move for one's job, it is that "working at one place after another" can be a single job. It is ridiculous to insist that each place is a different job.
          Understood. The position when I was self-employed was exactly that - a single job, no matter where my travels took me. I suppose I was the IT equivalent of a shop fitter.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            This one may run and run. Good excuse to rethink getting your own comapny though...
            I thought claiming T&S working through an umbrella was pretty safe. Has something changed recently?

It seemed that HMRC were fairly relaxed about it because it was something that only lasted for 2 years maximum and if you are genuinely moving around, then it was a genuine allowance anyway.

Or have they woken up to this and decided to go after T&S through umbrellas.

Comment

Too many unbrellas were (are) taking the michael over epxense poilicies and Hector finally noticed (prompted in part by some of the wilder advertising claims from people like Tarpon). The jury is out on what they will come up with, but thre's been a major conasultation exercise and one possible result will be the removeal of T&S from umbrellas, whic will be interesting.

One very informed view on the subject can be seen at http://www.contractingmatters.co.uk/...-another-view/
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Too many unbrellas were (are) taking the michael over epxense poilicies and Hector finally noticed (prompted in part by some of the wilder advertising claims from people like Tarpon). The jury is out on what they will come up with, but thre's been a major conasultation exercise and one possible result will be the removeal of T&S from umbrellas, whic will be interesting.

One very informed view on the subject can be seen at http://www.contractingmatters.co.uk/...-another-view/
                Would these be something alone the lines of claiming £25 per day for food without needing to keep receipts.

Would be a shame if those making illegal claims spoil it for those claiming genuine T&S. HMRC are known for using the WMD option to deal with problems - caring little about the collateral damage as long as their primary target gets obliterated.

Comment

My concern as well, although not a brolly user myself. Usual story though - a few wrecking it for the many. Makes you realise why we've been pushing the "only claim what you spend" line for so long though, doesn't it...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Sounds rather like the position for agency workers. That's drivel as well.

A sales director on £100k+ a year gets tax-free expenses for visiting a potential client for a week, an agency nurse on a rate equivalent to £30k a year does a week's emergency stint at a hospital and gets nowt tax free.

The tax system is irrational bullwarks from end to end.

PS The solution is sulphuric acid followed by caustic soda, they dissolve most things.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X