• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online CVs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online CVs

Hi all.

I have decided to join up after lurking for quite a while.

I was made redundant in February and have been looking for contract roles since but no luck so far. Up to now I haven't published my CV online with Jobserve, Monster et al but the way things are going I will give this a go.

My question is - how much personal info do you normally include on such a document? I am assuming that once I go public on Jobserve my CV effectively will be in the public domain so I am concerned about including home address, phone number and email. I thought of just including an email address but was wondering what is usual for these.

Thanks.
    Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Most of the usual personal info is already available in the public domain, via electoral roles, phone books etc etc

Just stick name, address, phone number, email addy

Oh and some on here may suggest bank details

Comment

Name, email address and phone numbers are all you need publish. Where you live, age, religion, sex etc.... "should be" totally irrelevant IMO. Those things above are all that I publish.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by downsouth View Post
        Most of the usual personal info is already available in the public domain, via electoral roles, phone books etc etc

Just stick name, address, phone number, email addy

Oh and some on here may suggest bank details

I wouldn't put address down, at the most I put the town name in, but certainly not Postcode or Street.

When it comes to the actual contracts then they need full details, but until then keep your address off the web if you can.

As Fred just said DoB, religion and interests you definitely don't publish.

Comment

I point blank refuse to give age too when asked. My CV is written such that it is not possible to gauge my DoB within 10 or 15 years either way, purposely, because I'm 52 now. Luckily, in process engineering so far at least, age has been irrelevant in the project teams I've worked in.

BTW, the morning after you publish your CV on Jobsite etc.... standby to be bombarded with desperate agencies fishing for leads for the next 3 or 4 days. Your mobile had better have its battery fully charged!
          Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 15 August 2009, 18:03.

Comment

Originally posted by George Parr View Post
            Up to now I haven't published my CV online with Jobserve, Monster et al but the way things are going I will give this a go.
            Get on with it.

If you have any niche skills make sure they are included on your CV; agents do keyword searches on these systems and that is how you then get calls.

BUT: for Monster, use a different email address. You WILL get loads of spam regarding work 'opportunities', stuffing envelopes, international money transfer jobs for a commission (from your account to theirs), 'CV writeing servisses' (scam), 'career retraining services' (scam), personal development services (scam), requests to use Indian software houses 'for all your developing needs' and so on within minutes of putting your CV on Monster.

I use a specific email address purely for work-related matters and nothing else. It makes spotting spam on my personal and professional and work email addresses easier and it easier to delete it without worrying about deleting a genuine job offer. It also means I can spot the "You have an interview this afternoon" emails more easily.

With hindsight, I wish I had used a different email address for the jobs-by-mail lists.

Originally posted by George Parr View Post
            My question is - how much personal info do you normally include on such a document?
            Personally, I put everything because I already exist on the 'Net. I have web sites and professional body contacts online and all sorts so it is too late for me to hide.

All you need is what it take for an agent to make a decision about you and how to contact you. Your town, county and country will suffice for location. For contact details, they will prefer to use a mobile number over a landline and they expect to see an email address to put on their database.

Note that when an agent submits a CV to a client, they remove all information that might let the client contact you direct.

PS: do include whether you have a driving licence and if it is clean, say so. Do not put date of birth or age. Some recommend putting nationality; that's probably a good idea if the answer is 'British' otherwise don't.

PPS: this is not often appreciated, but, there is NOTHING wrong with having a section on page 1 of your CV entitled 'KEYWORDS' followed by everything you can think of that an agent would type in when looking for someone like you. Nobody in their right mind would ever think the worse of you for doing so. And the agent will probably delete that section before submitting it anyway.
            Last edited by RichardCranium; 15 August 2009, 18:20.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

A couple of years ago I had a German agency bird on the phone trying to wedge my age out of me. I kept her going on the required skills for 15 minutes before she realised what I'd done and I let on

Last month I was asked for a photo, which I am told is quite commonly put on ze CV in ze Fatherland.* On request maybe, but I ain't putting my ugly mug up on the web.

* is this a request anyone else has had for jobs in Europe?
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                Last month I was asked for a photo, which I am told is quite commonly put on ze CV in ze Fatherland.
                This comes up under discussion on LinkedIn from time to time as it is common in Merkinland.

The conclusion tends to be that those who request pictures are racist and/or ageist and/or religionist and/or whatever. It is so the recruiter can do selection by appearance.

Essentially, a requirement for a photo on a CV <> equal ops unless it is for a model or a body double.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I'd be tempted to send a picture of someone considerably younger and better looking than myself if I was asked for this I'm afraid.

Comment

Well, the consensus is to publish so I'll give it a go. Thanks for the tips, I'll take them into account.
                    Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

Working...
                    X