• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving slowely from permi to contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving slowely from permi to contractor

Hello everyone, my first post, and let me thank you in advance for any assistance/views on this.

Ok here goes - I'm a permi, and still a permi. I have over 16 years IT experience, with the last 10 split over Technical Architect and Infrastructure Team Manager Roles.

I work for a major UK bank that's had huge losses over recent months. I'm very good at my job, and as you can imagine I've lead/designed some pretty big infrastructure projects over the years.

Over the last 12 months the company has started to go down the pan. Decisions are not thought-out and the government keeps sticking it nose in IT matters. And we all know how good the government is with its IT projects.

So the question - This is not the company I joined as a wee lad. I now want out. There's loads of redundancies being offered with pretty big payoffs, but I don't think they'll get round to offering it to our team for another 12 months or so. I don't think I can wait that long; so here's my dilemma.

I don't want to hand in my notice [yet] due to the potential of a redundancy payoff. I could take unpaid leave for up to 6-8 months.

Do you think I could take a contracting job while on unpaid leave? Or do you think I should stick it out?

I would say ride it out for the time; as the contract market isn't really stable, and you're already in role paying you £££ month in month out. It's either that or the dole office ... the choice is yours.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Al20 View Post
      Hello everyone, my first post, and let me thank you in advance for any assistance/views on this.

Ok here goes - I'm a permi, and still a permi. I have over 16 years IT experience, with the last 10 split over Technical Architect and Infrastructure Team Manager Roles.

I work for a major UK bank that's had huge losses over recent months. I'm very good at my job, and as you can imagine I've lead/designed some pretty big infrastructure projects over the years.

Over the last 12 months the company has started to go down the pan. Decisions are not thought-out and the government keeps sticking it nose in IT matters. And we all know how good the government is with its IT projects.

So the question - This is not the company I joined as a wee lad. I now want out. There's loads of redundancies being offered with pretty big payoffs, but I don't think they'll get round to offering it to our team for another 12 months or so. I don't think I can wait that long; so here's my dilemma.

I don't want to hand in my notice [yet] due to the potential of a redundancy payoff. I could take unpaid leave for up to 6-8 months.

Do you think I could take a contracting job while on unpaid leave? Or do you think I should stick it out?
      I would say definitely yes. Nothing for you to lose as far as I can see.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        I would say definitely yes. Nothing for you to lose as far as I can see.
        Is that a yes to question that I can take a job while on unpaid leave?

Comment

Over the last 12 months the company has started to go down the pan.
          Can you name and shame? I am about to start a contract as a TA with a large UK bank, would be interested to hear any inside info!!
          Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Al20
            Not worth listening to

How does that work then?
            A bad workman blames his fools

EDIT: *tools

stupid keyboard.

http://twitter.com/TheAnonTechGuy

Comment

Originally posted by SlimRick View Post
              How does that work then?
              Fiddling the numbers, typical banker...
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
                Can you name and shame? I am about to start a contract as a TA with a large UK bank, would be interested to hear any inside info!!
                I've been with Lloyds for ages, and now YOU own us!

But how is the bank supposed to lend the public more money and also increasing their capitalisation/cash reserves ratio? It's just one massive conflict. Something has to suffer and it's IT.

**sorry if my posts are delayed but they have to go to the Administrator for approval first

Comment

Presumably you will still be bound by T&Cs of your permie employment whilst on unpaid leave which may preclude you from working elsewhere. One to check out.
                  Numbly tolerating the inequality as a way to achieve greater prosperity for all.

Comment

Originally posted by George Parr View Post
                    Presumably you will still be bound by T&Cs of your permie employment whilst on unpaid leave which may preclude you from working elsewhere. One to check out.
                    Yes I thought of that one, but [nothing is ever simple] As I've been here for sooooo long no-one has a copy of my contract. Aparently different contacts have been awarded over the years, the response was "don't you have a copy".

I dropped the question - as i didn't want to draw too much attention.

Comment

Working...
                    X