• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT in Cumbria

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT in Cumbria

Looking on various it job boards, I never seem to find any perm/contract roles in the Cumbria region (software testing).

Is anybody aware of any companies in this area recruiting for this type of work. If so, which agencies are their preferred suppliers?

Originally posted by Sailaway View Post
    Looking on various it job boards, I never seem to find any perm/contract roles in the Cumbria region (software testing).

Is anybody aware of any companies in this area recruiting for this type of work. If so, which agencies are their preferred suppliers?
    Considering how little industry there is in Cumbria compared with much of the country it's hardly a surprise that there's next to no work.
    Last edited by TykeMerc; 23 August 2009, 12:51.

Comment

If anything there would be stuff at either Vickers (Barrow) or BNFL (Selafield)

Not much else
      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post
        If anything there would be stuff at either BAES (Barrow) or BNFL (Selafield)

Not much else
        Indeed, precious little apart from those two.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          Indeed, precious little apart from those two.
          Well when I was a lad it was Vickers

portseven - expat Barovian
          Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by Sailaway View Post

Cumbria is a wasteland with very little in the way of large scale IT projects. Its like the north east atm, not much going on.

Need to look further afield or, move to another location Im afraid.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

There is the Furness Building Society in Barrow

Comment

or the sausage factory in Shap. HTH
                Kneel before Bod

Comment

i worked up in barrow for a year on the gas processing plant, there is NO work there apart from BAE, Centrica, Glaxo Smith Kline (?), Expro Tronic and er... Morrisons.

Was considering staying up there and commuting to Manchester daily for work bit far though. Id move house mate.

Comment

Yeh move to the Isle of Wight, Man, Mull, Mid Wales and other well known IT hotspots.

Comment

Working...
                    X