• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

opting in before @#%$ ends?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opting in before @#%$ ends?

I've got four weeks left of a 16 week contract. The client has some projects coming up for me in the new year and I need to escape the six months handcuffs - can I withdraw my agreement to opt out now? Should I leave it until my last week?

Sorry, am thoroughly confused by it all.

Thanks.

Why did you opt out in the first place?

Mailman

Comment

well, to be honest mainly due to ignorance & inexperience and the general feeling that it didn't really matter. Also didn't want to annoy the agency

Comment

I think you are up sh1t creek without a paddle here...unless the client has come to you to ask you to stay on (that way you are not in breach of contract/covenant). If the agent tried to enforce their restraint of trade then you could tell them to talk to the client as they asked you to stay on.

Personally...you should never have opted out in the first place!

Mailman

Comment

I was looking at this opt in or out info on ContractorUK and it says:
          "Such a notice [to opt out] can be withdrawn at a later point by the individual, although the withdrawal will not take effect until the contract ends. "
          So I thought I would be ok? My contract ends in early November and I want to do some more work for the client(of a different nature and from home) in January.

Comment

also, not sure whether this is relevant or not, but the actual contract where I opted out has just finished. I am on an extension now and did not opt out for this bit (I was presuming I am still opted out from the original contract).

Comment

Well you should be ok then Goo...just sign a contract in Jan with the client and you are away laughing. Dont bother with the agents and maybe even get some other work to tide you over or something until you go back in Jan.

Mailman

Comment

Working...
              X