• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Meal allowance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meal allowance

Working under my limited company i am questioning meal allowances which i want to claim quite often.

I have been told i can only claim my meals when i stay overnight for work purposes and not if i return home. However, quite often i travel 5 hours per day, spend 10 hours on site and therefore have a long day and it is impossible (well not impossible, but hard) for me to eat at home. I have to buy food when i can, out and about or when i am on the way home late at night as its not practicle to eat when i get in very late.

Like lorry drivers who i have read can claim meal allowances like this, would it be fair to justify claiming meals or is this just a no no?

Any links to proper legislation or information would help justify my claims

Buy food whenever you like, eat it whenever you like. Expense whatever you like, it's your company.

The question is, though, is it a BIK or can you claim tax relief against the cost?

OK. so what would happen if you weren't working? Would you stop buying food and eating it? Thought not.

So why should my taxes subsidise your groceries?

If you want chapter and verse, it will be found (gosh!) somewhere on www.hmrc.gov.uk. I'm not about to go searching for you, look it up yourself. But you'll find the rules are both clear and sensible.

HTH
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Buy food whenever you like, eat it whenever you like. Expense whatever you like, it's your company.

The question is, though, is it a BIK or can you claim tax relief against the cost?

OK. so what would happen if you weren't working? Would you stop buying food and eating it? Thought not.

If you want chapter and verse, it will be found (gosh!) somewhere on www.hmrc.gov.uk. I'm not about to go searching for you, look it up yourself. But you'll find the rules are both clear and sensible.

HTH
      So why is this different to:
      a) employee of big co - working late at office and getting a meal on expenses tax free
      b) employee of brolly - claiming under dispensation - only the actual amount incurred of course but keeping receipt in case needed for HMRC inspection
      ?
      This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

I think under some circumstances you can claim for late working/unsocial hours. Should find it on the HMRC site, booklets 480/490 probably.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

...OK. so what would happen if you weren't working? Would you stop buying food and eating it? Thought not.

Same applies to working away from home during the week, so a pretty weak argument there.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Same applies to working away from home during the week, so a pretty weak argument there.
            Perhaps you should read the rules properly. Doesn't "working away from home" rather imply you are out of the house more than 10 hours a day...?
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Perhaps you should read the rules properly. Doesn't "working away from home" rather imply you are out of the house more than 10 hours a day...?
              I'm not going to look up the rules for you, but if your work takes you out of the house for 15 hours a day (and it's a temporary site) I'm pretty sure there's a few allowances you can claim.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The HMR&C argument has always been that you have to eat to live and therefore, in most day to day circumstances, food cannot be considered to be a legitimate business expense. However, as Xog pointed out, if you were to work unusual or exceptional hours there may be a reasonable case for you claiming the cost of a meal. For instance, if your normal working hours are 9-5 but there is a major system problem and you don't leave work until 9pm, HMR&C would not consider it unreasonable for you to claim for the cost of a take-away. However, if your contracted hours are from 9am to 9pm you would not be able to claim that cost as those working hours are typical for you.
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

I claim for lunch through my Ltd company whilst working at a client's site - its not my main workplace (my home office is) and the client's site is a temporary work place therefore I claim all of my travel and subsistence costs (but I don't go crazy, always under £10 on food for a day).

From the HMRC website:

As well as including transport costs, the ‘necessary costs of business travel’ also include:

* subsistence costs, such as meals
                  * accommodation if the travel requires an overnight stay
                  Emphasis mine.

Comment

Originally posted by lukeredpath View Post
                    (but I don't go crazy, always under £10 on food for a day).
                    Fat get!

That's a hell of a lot of big macs!
                    'elf and safety guru

Comment

Working...
                    X