• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cheap houses in a recession

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap houses in a recession

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8226416.stm

House prices in England and Wales rose by 1.7% in July compared with June - the biggest monthly leap in value since July 2004, the Land Registry said.

Every region recorded a monthly rise in prices, with the average home valued at £155,885, the analysis found.

You've got to hand it to Brown and co, these guys really know how the economy works. In Ireland property has fallen about 40%.

Not many houses are being sold at the moment, a few house sales could play havoc with the stats.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

The age old problem of lack of supply helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        The age old problem of lack of supply helps.
        I guess the unemployed can afford the mortgage and bills no?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I guess the unemployed can afford the mortgage and bills no?
          That's where the taxpayer comes in.

Comment

Well I sold my flat for a good price. About to rent a nice house instead. Suckers rally I say!
            Cats are evil.

Comment

I sold my tiny executive town house 2 and a half years ago, rented till last week and now stay in a massive semi detached for only 40 grand more.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                You've got to hand it to Brown and co, these guys really know how the economy works. In Ireland property has fallen about 40%.
                Brown's an imbecile. This country's debts will take decades to clear. He knows nothing about how an economy works. Remember, this is "Mr No More Boom and Bust". And what have we had under NuLabour - the biggest Boom and Bust in history.

And as for Ireland, they are lucky - they don't have a fool like Brown propping up their housing market - with taxpayers money - until election time.

Come back this time next year, and you'll see our housing market has gone the same way as Ireland, the U.S., Spain, France, Italy, and, er, everywhere else.

Nomadd
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                  Come back this time next year, and you'll see our housing market has gone the same way as Ireland, the U.S., Spain, France, Italy, and, er, everywhere else.

Nomadd
                  Not Australia apparently. Didn't even go into recesssion.
                  Last edited by max; 28 August 2009, 15:25.

Comment

Originally posted by max View Post
                    Not Australian apparently. Didn't even go into recesssion.
                    Yet. Aussie economy is generally 6-18 months behind world trends.

Obviously being a net exporter will help, but I think there might be some pain to come....
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X