• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Upton Accountants in trouble?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upton Accountants in trouble?

Anyone know any more about this? :

http://www.moneymadeclear.fsa.gov.uk...009/upton.html

and

---URL removed---

I cannot tell what date this happened, whether their assets are still frozen, etc. Their web site doesn't work any more. With frozen assets I don't see how they can function as an accountancy firm.

We are a customer -- no other connection.
    Last edited by super; 7 September 2009, 10:07. Reason: one URL removed on request of Upton Accountants

first link was updated 30th June 09 - see bottom of page

Comment

Originally posted by super View Post
      Anyone know any more about this? :

http://www.moneymadeclear.fsa.gov.uk...009/upton.html

and

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/forum/cons...ency-plan.html

I cannot tell what date this happened, whether their assets are still frozen, etc. Their web site doesn't work any more. With frozen assets I don't see how they can function as an accountancy firm.

We are a customer -- no other connection.
      This is really bad!!

How on earth can you trust your accounts with someone like that??

I for one will not be using Upton again which is a shame as they were quite decent

Comment

Site

Site up and running again, web guys didn't renew the domain yesterday.

The other links relate to a product we closed in February, visit followed in March.

Has absolutely no effect on the accountancy practice otherwise wouldn't be here! Fully functioning!

Product no longer around and being wrapped up, still here offering same personal service with no effect.
        Last edited by Darren@UptonAccountants; 6 September 2009, 20:37. Reason: Adjust

Comment

Originally posted by Darren@UptonAccountants View Post
          Bollocks.

Comment

Originally posted by RedTag View Post
            Originally posted by Darren@UptonAccountants View Post
            Bollocks.
            I don't know anything about the other matters mentioned above, but Darren is absolutely correct about the domain renewal date:

Code:
            Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
             Record last updated on 06-Sep-2009.
             Record expires on 05-Sep-2010.
             Record created on 05-Sep-2006.
            http://www.networksolutions.com/whoi...ccountants.com

Comment

Domain

Thanks for the confirmation link!

Recommendations were put on this forum just a few days ago, confirmation that it's business as usual, the scheme we operated is completely separate and clients that regularly contact myself and other staff will acknowledge still here, staff don't work for free!!

It's most definitely business as usual for the accountancy practice. Having spent a number of years building the business from scratch certainly not letting service levels drop.

I informed the PCG a couple of months back and they've confirmed the same that there is no effect to it's members.
              Last edited by Darren@UptonAccountants; 6 September 2009, 22:02.

Comment

I note from companies house that a new company has recently been registered, UPTON ACCOUNTANTS LTD No.06916123

The "current" company appeared to be UPTON & CO. ACCOUNTANTS LTD No.5599057

Perhaps the old company's bank accounts have been frozen??????
                "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Clarification from PCG

The PCG has been made aware of the FSA investigation into Upton & CO Accounts Ltd. The investigation is ongoing and we clearly cannot draw any conclusions or offer comment specifically relating to any "effect" on any individual or company. We have requested Upton & CO Accounts Ltd keep us abreast of developments.

Iain McIlwee
                  Head of Commercial Development, PCG

Comment

AccS

Nope, trading accs still running, just the accs for the product that froze as part of the closure....as I say, completely separate parts of the business.

Newco is dormant, part of protecting the name but also could be used for a new office.....common practice.

I'm actually told that we are one of the few practices in the vacinity to be recruiting for staff, a lot of others in the area are making people redundant all down to referrals from current clients.

Comment

Working...
                    X