• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Contract SC Clearance could turn out to be a problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Contract SC Clearance could turn out to be a problem

Hi All,

First post on here but ive just got a new contract and my old company (I left them on Oct2008) did my SC clearance for me, they told me they could not offer me a job until the clearance came through... 4 weeks later I got the job offer and was in MoJ offices and banks doing work unsupervised!

I have just had a contract offer which when I applied required SC Clearance, which I thought I had??

I gave my old company a heads up about the fact they would get a call to transfer my SC and I received an e-mail back saying that they did apply for me during my time there but I left after 4 months and they cancelled my SC application!!

Now im unsure whether they can do that as they would have posted it months before I left the company so surely it would have gone through but as I had left the company after maybe they have not updated my Personnel record at the company and im still showing as not 'cleared'!!

Has anyone else had this problem or can you shed any light on whether they can stop an application months after it has been put through the system

Thanks in advance

Tom

If the company you were with are telling the truth, then you are screwed... it's quite possible I guess, SC clearance can take months to come through.. if it wasn't completed at the point you left then why would they waste their time progressing it, even if it was 80% complete?
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Yes they can cancel the application for clearance. If you know which vetting agency you were being cleared through, ie DVA, Cabinet office etc, it would be prudent to ring them to check your clearance status if any. Sometimes the sponsor cancels the clearance but the vetting agency being a government body and not very organised may not have recieved it and carried it on. Ive seen it happen b4. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the replies....

It just I was told I had to be cleared before the job could be offered me, so im confused as to how they offered me a job without clearance!!

Ill have to check too see what I can do... perhaps this new contract will allow me too run through my SC clearance as its upto 18 months long!!

Thanks again though people!

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman_1 View Post
          Yes they can cancel the application for clearance. If you know which vetting agency you were being cleared through, ie DVA, Cabinet office etc, it would be prudent to ring them to check your clearance status if any. Sometimes the sponsor cancels the clearance but the vetting agency being a government body and not very organised may not have recieved it and carried it on. Ive seen it happen b4. Good luck.
          but the company would still have a record of it eventually coming through.
          SOunds like matey is screwed in this instance, seen it happy before also and contractor(s) pulled off site. I know of someone who had his SC application withdrawn after leaving the co.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperZ View Post
            but the company would still have a record of it eventually coming through.
            SOunds like matey is screwed in this instance, seen it happy before also and contractor(s) pulled off site. I know of someone who had his SC application withdrawn after leaving the co.
            If the person had left the company prior to the clearance coming through, the sponsor would not have any requirement to maintain the clearance or inform the candidate. I would advise to check with the vetting agency.

Comment

Working...
            X