• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MY travel expence's 40pound a day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MY travel expence's 40pound a day

Hi there,

Im spending 800 pounds on travel expenses now since I work in the middle of nowhere, around 40pounds a day - 20 a day for the train and 10pound each way for a taxi.
    I make around 5grand a month, but of course ill be claiming expenses from my business account but none the less the realisation of 800 pounds is sick.

I realise that by taking out 800pounds worth of expenses a month means thats 800pounds that isn't being taxed right?

Anyone else spend a lot of money on expenses on a relatively average contract rate?

perhaps try a roomshare close to work?

Comment

Originally posted by trsisko View Post
      Anyone else spend a lot of money on expenses on a relatively average contract rate?
      It could be worse.

At least you can commute and do not have to pay for a hotel or b&b four nights a week.

Comment

Originally posted by trsisko View Post
        I realise that by taking out 800pounds worth of expenses a month means thats 800pounds that isn't being taxed right?
        Of course, it's just expenditure same as any other. You only pay tax on profit at the end of the year.
        But don't get too excited. You're still £800 down.

Comment

trsisko,

If the £800 is qualifying expenses then no you probably are not going to be taxed on it, that puts your gross income in the Higher rate Tax Bracket for some of the income for sure.

You may find this link to a spreadheet useful to see what your net income should be, there is a video explanation as well.

Phil

Comment

Don't look at it as costing you £800 a month, look at it as making £4200 a month.

Why not get a car? If it's £20 a day for the train it can't be all that far.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Don't look at it as costing you £800 a month, look at it as making £4200 a month.

Why not get a car? If it's £20 a day for the train it can't be all that far.
              More to the point, why not get a bike? A £10 taxi journey can't be far, and the £400 you'll save in the first month will more than pay for a decent commuter bike plus associated locks and stuff. After that it's quids in, plus you'll be much fitter to boot. Everyone's a winner.

Comment

It's part and parcel of contracting.

My expenses are £400 a WEEK.
                Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
                I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

I'm working in Geneva and fund my hotel (300 a week) and flights (100 a week) out of my after tax income. At least the pound is heading in the right direction for me.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
                    I'm working in Geneva and fund my hotel (300 a week) and flights (100 a week) out of my after tax income. At least the pound is heading in the right direction for me.
                    Amazing Tony, you're funding weekly flights to Geneva and I'm paying the same for flights and digs to the bloody midlands from Belfast
                    Every Saint has a past, Every Sinner a future"

Originally Posted by Pogle
                    I wasnt really into men at the time - IYKWIM

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X