• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Access/VB Developer Potential 2mth from 1st Oct

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access/VB Developer Potential 2mth from 1st Oct

I need the above resource for a client we're bidding for based in Preston. Any fellow contractors looking for some sub-contracting from me?

Quote from client:

“If I needed a good Access / VB developer with some SQL skills to do some work for me for a few months can you let me know the costs / T&C’s.

There are a number of small pieces I’m struggling with including;

• Data load – take file, and convert format to load into db (extracting “good” data)
    • 2/3 x small access development – some on existing apps some not

There’s probably enough for at least 1 if not 2 months worth.

There isn’t much specced out, so I need someone customer facing to define real requirements from nice to have."

We should hopefully have some thing in more detail by end of week. We will be looking at a b2b contract, and due to cost restrictions would expect you cover your own expenses.

Can you PM me and include your daily rate and email? I'll then contact you directly on email and call you.

I need to get the quote in (only got this request overnight...) today so appreciate a swift response.

Cheers,
    Gary
    I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

If you hadn't said VB I'd be all over it I take it you want little apps written within Access itself, i.e Access GUI etc? Or was it VB apps hooking up to a generic DB and doing all the logic/GUI themselves.
    VB6 or .net?

Asking mainly to help others who may be interested, it's probably not my thing unless the DB stuff can be separated from VB or VB is not a hard requirement (e.g C#).
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I was doing that sort of thing for £250/day around 2002-3, so adjust for deflation.

Comment

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/contract.aspx?q=msaccess
        http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/contract.aspx?q=VB
        http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/contract.aspx?q=SQL

So I'd say £250-300 depending exactly what's involved... if it's literally simple MSAccess/VB in-house apps I could probably find one of my (decent) offshore resources at about £200/day but you may be looking for someone to actually come on-site?

Comment

I once worked on a gig where clientco's main system was run on msaccess,
          although you couldn't tell just by looking at the front end.

the lead developer was on approx £450 per day this was about 8yrs ago, main
          reason why he was paid this much was that to buy offshelf similar system with all functionality would cost cleint approx £300k + £50k support per annum

Comment

client wants to pay little more than £250
            I didn't say it was your ******* fault, I said I was blaming you!

Comment

Originally posted by scooby View Post
              In todays market that is about average for an Access Dev (actually for up north probably good rate), not only due to recession but also because Access rates have been dropping steadily over last few years

Though think you might have some difficulty sourcing someone up there

Comment

As I asked... do they require someone to come on site? Considering the work is not well defined and the duration is not known, it sounds a pain to get a traditional contractor on-site. I'd suggest it's suitable for outsourcing to an outside company but is that something up for consideration? It also allows your client to take their time... a couple of days to review a new version rather than having to keep a contractor busy every day.

PM me if interested, remote working is my specialty both as worker and employer.

Comment

^^
                  There isn’t much specced out, so I need someone
                  customer facing

Comment

Missed that, thanks.