• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going direct but client wants me to use agent ???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going direct but client wants me to use agent ???

Got offered a gig via a contact working there no agent involved, but client has now said I need to come through an agent or have an agent. How does it work in circumstances like this, I will p8ssed if the agent gets commission for doing nothing but for this gig I need one, anyone else had the same situation how have you dealt with it

If they aren't fussed which agent then shop around the established ones ( ie. not likely to go bust ) and see who will take the smallest cut and also offer instant payment terms. I've had to do this and it annoys me a lot ! I struggled to get anybody to do it for less than 8% if my memory is correct. Also make sure that any handcuff clauses are removed from the contract ie. the client may see the light and ditch the agent once they know you.

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
      If they aren't fussed which agent then shop around the established ones ( ie. not likely to go bust ) and see who will take the smallest cut and also offer instant payment terms. I've had to do this and it annoys me a lot ! I struggled to get anybody to do it for less than 8% if my memory is correct. Also make sure that any handcuff clauses are removed from the contract ie. the client may see the light and ditch the agent once they know you.
      Cheers.

I might use my current agent, they are goodm payment terms are instant though I think client only pays monthly anyway. The client though is asking me for what my rate is should I quote it with the agent % factored in or not ?

Comment

Set up an Agency as a trading name of your Ltd Co. I don't know how it fully works, but it could be an option.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
          Got offered a gig via a contact working there no agent involved, but client has now said I need to come through an agent or have an agent. How does it work in circumstances like this, I will p8ssed if the agent gets commission for doing nothing but for this gig I need one, anyone else had the same situation how have you dealt with it
          Jesus, you get the client to agree you get your specified rate and they pay the agent's mark up, however much or little that may be.

I've done that beofre. Its no hassle.

Course you could refuse and walk away
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Also make sure that any handcuff clauses are removed from the contract ie. the client may see the light and ditch the agent once they know you.
            And make sure they remove them from the agency-client contract too. Got caught that way once in my greenhorn days.

Comment

Use a limited Co as agency

I had a similar problem. Went with Mitsulimited.co.uk. They take 5 percent but i got them down to 4. It s better than what the agencies charge. i was pissed as well as i found the contract. So yeah they get paid for doing nothing. It sux huh.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo kane View Post
                So yeah they get paid for doing nothing. It sux huh.
                No, they get paid essentially for factoring your invoices.

When I first went direct to a client I had to wait three months before my first invoice was paid - the cost of that money is mostly what you are paying the agency for, especially if the agency pays weekly.

Comment

I have never understood why end clients insist on putting contractors through an agency.
                  It doesn't save them any money. It costs them more. Sometimes a lot more.
                  It doesn't save them work, just means they have to do different work.
                  It doesn't save them being messed around, just means they're messed around professionally.

Chalk another one down to lazy incompetent HR.

And any contractor who needs invoice factoring shouldn't be contracting.

Comment

+ it makes it more likely that the contractor becomes a disguised employee, not less.

As an alternative, ask if the client will still take you on direct, but go into the car park with you every lunchtime and set fire to £100. The business value will be just the same, plus you get to warm your hands on it in winter.

Comment

Working...
                    X