• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SJD accountancy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SJD accountancy?

Just about ready to take the plunge and set up my limited company. So I'm looking at accountants. Very impressed by SJD accountancy's website, but they're a bit dearer than a lot of other accountants. Has anyone used them? Does their service match their website?

Thanks
    k2p2

I use them and they have been worth it so far. I know I am paying slightly more but they answer every question I throw at them and have made everything much easier for me. Cannot complain at all.

Am sure there was a thread on this recently. Might be worth doing a quick search on the forum.

Comment

I've found that they're OK, but they don't go out of their way to advise you.

They'll basically send you a spreadsheet and then you do the figures yourself each month / quarter etc and send it to them. When it comes to general advice they're pretty lacking in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by mcskiver View Post

They'll basically send you a spreadsheet and then you do the figures yourself each month / quarter etc and send it to them. When it comes to general advice they're pretty lacking in my opinion.

I use them and have to agree, not very proactive. Also I've had 5 account managers in 2 years which causes continuity issues. But apart from that they are reliable, and having heard horror stories elsewhere I’m reluctant to change…

Comment

Originally posted by Jeebo72 View Post
          I use them and have to agree, not very proactive.
          In the vast majority of cases, IT contractors will have a pretty consistent income. Hence once setup optimally (system you're happy with, VAT on FRS if applicable, suitable salary/divi split), there's likely to be minimal things to advise on. The only reason there would be is when tax rules change, or if you have a change in circumstances/want to make a significant transaction.

Out of interest, what would you expect/hope your accountant to do?

Comment

WHS

Comment

I prefer the leaving you to it approach, but it does make me wonder if I shouldn't be doing the whole thing myself.

As for cost, an accountant really isn't someone you should be choosing on price.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Thanks all for the feedback. It sounds like most people are happy enough with their service. I've arranged to call them tomorrow, so will see how that goes.

Comment

Yep - same experience here...but they've been pretty reliable since I switched to them a couple of years back so am sticking with them for now.

Comment

Accountant

Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
                    WHS
                    Try IR35 Accountant

Free Company set up and Nigel gives great personal service
                    Last edited by administrator; 1 October 2009, 10:36. Reason: Link removed TOS

Comment

Working...
                    X