• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hit and run Harman

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit and run Harman

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...arked-car.html

Surprised nobody has commented on this, and yes it was also reported on the BBC.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...arked-car.html

Surprised nobody has commented on this, and yes it was also reported on the BBC.
    It disgusts me that MP's simply think that certain laws just don't apply to them.

The fact that the other party would "know where to find her" is totally irrelevant. The law states you have to provide details - end of.

There isn't a subsection in the law that states that if you are an MP, you can fob them off - actually better check that because the MP's did make the law after all.

Comment

The brother of a friend of mine got fined £2k, 9 points on his licence and was threatened with the possibility of 3 months in jail for driving away from an accident when he clipped wing mirrors in a busy street, didn't notice and a witness called the police.

Harman was on the phone so not in proper control, no due care and attention and drove away from the scene, she deserves to have the book, bookcase and librarian thrown at her like any of us would have, but being a Minister of course she won't

Comment

B1tch.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          The brother of a friend of mine got fined £2k, 9 points on his licence and was threatened with the possibility of 3 months in jail for driving away from an accident when he clipped wing mirrors in a busy street, didn't notice and a witness called the police.

Harman was on the phone so not in proper control, no due care and attention and drove away from the scene, she deserves to have the book, bookcase and librarian thrown at her like any of us would have, but being a Minister of course she won't
          Did you read the part of the article where she has been penalised multiple times before? It doesn't mention she escaped points and fines in those cases.

Normally, Ms Harman has a silver, chauffeur-driven Toyota Prius
          Why on earth?! I don't see why she shouldn't have a chauffeur-driven car, but get a decent car in that case!
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I don't see why she shouldn't have a chauffeur-driven car, but get a decent car in that case!
            Why should she? And even if she does then she should be paying Benefit in Kind tax on these services.

Comment

That reminds me of a story I heard at one of the sites where I was working.

2 secretaries were chatting, and one asked the other how her 82 year old Mum was.

The other replied that she was holding up, after the Police visit.

I carried on working, listening in to their idle chat, and it transpired that the poor old dear had clipped a parked car in her street and not realised it.

The owner (a neighbour) of the vehicle saw the incident, and instead of having a polite chat, he phone the cops and reported her as leaving the scene of a crime.

3 weeks later, 4 rather large burly coppers banged on her front door one night at 10.30 pm, getting her out of bed.

She opened the door in her nightie, and they said that they needed to come in and chat about a crime.

The poor dear was beside herself, thinking that one of her daughters or grandkids had been murdered.

They explained that 3 weeks ago, she had been witnessed leaving the scene of a crime, in which a vehicle was damaged.

They explained that this was a very serious crime, and would undoubtedly lead to a hefty fine, points on her licence, and quite possibly a custodial sentence.

The poor old girl was completely terrified, never having been involved with the police before, and being woken up at such a late hour by 4 burly coppers.

They did try and take her to the station for fingerprinting and DNA (which she didn't even know what that was, but they said it was part of her body or something, which helped matters no end).

She asked if they were arresting her, and they replied "not at this stage", so in tears she rang her daughter who arrived, managed to get the coppers out of the house, and she spent the night with her mum, calming her down.

The last I heard, is that the daughter recommended that her mother and the owner of the vehicle come to some arrangement in which she pays for the 2" scuff mark on his rear bumper. The garage have said that they will have to replace the whole bumper for £800.

I definitely feel that the response by the police was completely disproportionate to the crime committed, especially by a senior citizen, and to approach their investigation in such a heavy-handed manner has caused unnecessary stress and suffering.

I do wonder if the police are human at all sometimes, or completely devoid of any intellience or training to deal sympathetically with an old lady, let alone catch criminals.

Still, it's got to be easier to terrorise an old lady than god forbid patrol the high street at pub closing time.

Is this what we have to look forward to when we get old ?

Solution :

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                That reminds me of a story I heard at one of the sites where I was working.

2 secretaries were chatting, and one asked the other how her 82 year old Mum was.

The other replied that she was holding up, after the Police visit.

I carried on working, listening in to their idle chat, and it transpired that the poor old dear had clipped a parked car in her street and not realised it.

The owner (a neighbour) of the vehicle saw the incident, and instead of having a polite chat, he phone the cops and reported her as leaving the scene of a crime.

3 weeks later, 4 rather large burly coppers banged on her front door one night at 10.30 pm, getting her out of bed.

She opened the door in her nightie, and they said that they needed to come in and chat about a crime.

The poor dear was beside herself, thinking that one of her daughters or grandkids had been murdered.

They explained that 3 weeks ago, she had been witnessed leaving the scene of a crime, in which a vehicle was damaged.

They explained that this was a very serious crime, and would undoubtedly lead to a hefty fine, points on her licence, and quite possibly a custodial sentence.

The poor old girl was completely terrified, never having been involved with the police before, and being woken up at such a late hour by 4 burly coppers.

They did try and take her to the station for fingerprinting and DNA (which she didn't even know what that was, but they said it was part of her body or something, which helped matters no end).

She asked if they were arresting her, and they replied "not at this stage", so in tears she rang her daughter who arrived, managed to get the coppers out of the house, and she spent the night with her mum, calming her down.

The last I heard, is that the daughter recommended that her mother and the owner of the vehicle come to some arrangement in which she pays for the 2" scuff mark on his rear bumper. The garage have said that they will have to replace the whole bumper for £800.

I definitely feel that the response by the police was completely disproportionate to the crime committed, especially by a senior citizen, and to approach their investigation in such a heavy-handed manner has caused unnecessary stress and suffering.

I do wonder if the police are human at all sometimes, or completely devoid of any intellience or training to deal sympathetically with an old lady, let alone catch criminals.

Still, it's got to be easier to terrorise an old lady than god forbid patrol the high street at pub closing time.

Is this what we have to look forward to when we get old ?

Solution :

After you.

Comment

Churchill wrote : After you.

Oh I possibly couldn't.

Ladies first and all that.

Please lead the way.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
                    She opened the door in her nightie
                    That's a funny place to have a door.
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X