• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Signing out of Belgium discretely

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signing out of Belgium discretely

I need to sign out of Belgium without leaving a forwarding address (Underestimate the taxes). I've already moved, got a new contract, I'm back to sign out as best I can.

I think I can safety sign out of the town hall without a forwarding address. I'd also like to deregister for social taxes too, but only if I can do it without submitting a forwarding address. Does anyone know the signing out routine and what information is passed for each form? It's going to be 2 years plus to get myself back firmly in the black, so I won't be trying to pay in instalments, this will not be a nice exit.

Also the Limosa, the company I'm working for now wants me to do the installer for the next versions each year, it's about 2 months each time. Do I need to do a Limosa for such short projects + living in a hotel? The only good answer there is obviously no. Does the BE company have a penalty if they don't insist on one?

Finally, I had another (!) tax bill from 2006 in the mailbox waiting for me. I worked for 2 weeks Christmas cover, in Belgium at the end of 2006, the Social tax dept says I have to pay for the whole of quarter 4 2006 SS taxes based on my average for the 2007/8. They want me to pay SS to cover the same period I was on the bench in Germany and paying German SS, which doesn't seem fair. Not least because the Social Security is twice the money I was paid for those 2 weeks! I know it's moot, because I can't pay it, but that can't be right surely?

What I've learnt from this:
    Belgium self employed structure is not good for expat contractors.
    Don't start or end contracts in the middle of a quarter if you're paying BE SS, you get hit with the full quarter.

no. you need to fess up and take it on the chin.

rather that than run, get hunted and caught and end up in debtors prison.

Comment

Nah, leg it. Go on the run. It's a lot more fun.

The UK revenue men have not caught me yet.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Limosa Required

Originally posted by NoMoreSleeplessNights View Post
        I need to sign out of Belgium without leaving a forwarding address (Underestimate the taxes). I've already moved, got a new contract, I'm back to sign out as best I can.

Also the Limosa, the company I'm working for now wants me to do the installer for the next versions each year, it's about 2 months each time. Do I need to do a Limosa for such short projects + living in a hotel? The only good answer there is obviously no. Does the BE company have a penalty if they don't insist on one?

What I've learnt from this:
        Belgium self employed structure is not good for expat contractors.
        Don't start or end contracts in the middle of a quarter if you're paying BE SS, you get hit with the full quarter.
        Yes If you are in Belgium for more than 5 days a month then Limosa is applicable
        Read the Limosa agreement.
        Yes and no. You can pay to register to be come self employed and then pay to de register.
        The Belgium self employed structure was not created for expat contractors.
        It was created for Plumbers electricians etc not for IT contractors.
        Last edited by Brussels Slumdog; 14 October 2009, 19:46.

Comment

Working...
        X