• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT FRS calculator?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT FRS calculator?

I was looking around but couldn't see anything which could help me see the financial differences if I'm on the FRS. Historically, all my company income has been from non-VATable sources (non-EU clients) so staying off the FRS has been better since I can claim back VAT on professional fees etc. But I'm now doing some work in the UK while expecting non-EU work to continue and I'd like a way to plug in my VATable income, nonVATable income, and outgoings on which VAT could be claimed back, and see which is best.

Is there a calculator out there?
    Last edited by administrator; 7 March 2011, 16:09.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Is it that hard to do yourself?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/excel/default.aspx
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Shame all the people who made all those other calculators didn't listen to you.

Anyone else actually have a helpful answer?

Comment

Jeez....

Assuming you put your net invoice totals excluding VAT into Column A, then a cell containing:

=(sum(a:a) * 1.15) - (sum(a:a)*1.115)

would do it.

Other more sophisticated answers may be available.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

And the difference is what? The amount of VAT I would have to have on purchases for both schemes to be exactly the same overall?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            And the difference is what? The amount of VAT I would have to have on purchases for both schemes to be exactly the same overall?
            OK, so I don't understand the question. Want to try again?

Under normal rules it's 15% both ways. Unnder FRS you charge VAT at (currently) 15% on top of inovoice value. You repay VAT at (currently) 11.5% (assuming a standard IT contractor) of gross invoiced value per quarter: only single purchases above £2000 are exempted, and to those standard VAT rules apply. You don't get to choose what you apply VAT to, so exactly what are you asking?

And just to be clear (which you perhaps aren't), VAT is not your money and never is. You are merely passing it along the food chain.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              OK, so I don't understand the question. Want to try again?

Under normal rules it's 15% both ways. Unnder FRS you charge VAT at (currently) 15% on top of inovoice value. You repay VAT at (currently) 11.5% (assuming a standard IT contractor) of gross invoiced value per quarter: only single purchases above £2000 are exempted, and to those standard VAT rules apply. You don't get to choose what you apply VAT to, so exactly what are you asking?
              Aha. I was under the impression that FRS meant you couldn't claim back any VAT on purchases, but were able to make a profit on the differing VAT rates you charge/pay on invoiced amounts. I'll have to re-read it as it sounds this isn't correct.

Comment

You could try using HMRC's tool, their VAT flat rate reckoner
                http://vatreadyreckoner.hmrc.gov.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Aha. I was under the impression that FRS meant you couldn't claim back any VAT on purchases, but were able to make a profit on the differing VAT rates you charge/pay on invoiced amounts. I'll have to re-read it as it sounds this isn't correct.
                  1) You can't claim VAT back on purchases (except for capital purchases over 2k) if you are flat rate vat.

2) The profit comes as follows:
                  a) Not flat rate scheme, net turnover for period £10,000, VAt charged£1,500
                  Expenses £1,000 vat reclaimed £150. pay to Vat man £1,500 - £150 = £1,350
                  b) flat rate VAt scheme, gross turnover £11,500, vat calculated as 11.5% = £1322.50. No VAt reclaimed, pay to Vat man £1322.50

Profit from flat rate vat scheme = £1350 - £1322.50 = £27.50

HTH

Comment

Working...
                  X