• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Issues with dell regarding my laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues with dell regarding my laptop

Just wondering if anyone has any advice/comments on this.

I bought a studio 15 from dell last year and quite frankly the quality of the item is quite poor. The main complaint is with the screen which has developed bright spots which was probably caused by putting the laptop in the bag and rushing for trains and what not. Dell agreed to change the screen in the summer and since then the laptop has only been used at my desk but the new screen has developed the same problems.

I wrote to dell support this week explaining that the issue was reoccurring and asked for the screen to be changed again but they ignored that. The laptop is now out of dell's warranty by 5 weeks.

I explained that I was not happy with the product and if I was expected to use the laptop over a 5 year period then with a 100% fail rate of screens with a life expectancy of 6 months then I would have to replace the screen 10 times.

Do I have any come back on this. Should I pursue or will I just be hitting a brick wall?

Cheers.

I'd keep at them. The Sale of Goods act says that items have to be of a 'reasonable' quality (this is not precisely defined) and a warranty period makes no difference.
    As a 'reasonable' person, I would say that a years worth of use is not reasonable. A laptop is meant to be portable so should be robust enough to cope with being moved from time to time.

Good luck with getting some money or a replacement screen.

You might find this link helpful
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
      I'd keep at them. The Sale of Goods act says that items have to be of a 'reasonable' quality (this is not precisely defined) and a warranty period makes no difference.
      As a 'reasonable' person, I would say that a years worth of use is not reasonable. A laptop is meant to be portable so should be robust enough to cope with being moved from time to time.

Good luck with getting some money or a replacement screen.

You might find this link helpful
      WZS - if the screen keeps breaking, then it's not fit for purpose and they should repair it. There is something about having a reasonable period for demanding a replacement, but they should repair it for you.

If you hear nothing, then I'd tell them that you will be talking to Trading Standards about it, and see what they recommend.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

A letter to Dell UK saying you are taking the matter to trading standards, BBC Watchdog http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/ and to the national press to see if other people are suffering the same low quality std's from Dell should sort it out pretty quick.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, i'll send them a mail this week. They just totally ignored the email.

I will never purchase another thing off dell again, the screen and the motherboard already have been replaced but the thing that really p1sses me off is dealing with bob on the phone for an hour explaining the computer is shagged whil he promises me there is nothing wrong.

They send round a pretty decent enigneer who took one look at the thing and said "wtf is wrong with that"

gf has a mac book pro and it is light years ahead of dell in build quality.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

gf has a mac book pro and it is light years ahead of dell in build quality.
            Yeah I noticed the same thing between the Bugatti Veyron and a Kia Cee'd the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              the thing that really p1sses me off is dealing with bob on the phone for an hour explaining the computer is shagged whil he promises me there is nothing wrong.
              Maybe you are running Microsoft Vissa and that's the problem...
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Maybe you are running Microsoft Vissa and that's the problem...
                That was earily like the conversation I had.

I had to sit through a 5 minute diagnostic check and the boy was going

"Can I call you later to see if we can offer you some more laptops at good prices"

"well really I just want this one working"

then he just kept saying "Ok I will call you later on then about new laptops"

"ehh, no you won't"

2 minutes later

"Ok I will call you later on then about new laptops"

he said that about 10 times and every time I told him no.

Nearly told him to f off in the end.

Comment

You`re lucky you didn`t have to deal with Talk-Talk support.

Comment

Dear Minestrone,

Thank you for contacting Dell Expired Warranty Support. It is unfortunate to hear that you have experienced a fault on your system, however, be assured as we are committed to provide you with best of our services and repairs at reasonable charges. According to our records, the warranty on your system expired on 31-08-2009. To provide you with a quick resolution, a call back can be scheduled at your convenience, to discuss the charges for diagnostics/repairs/any part replacement.

Kindly provide us with three different time slots of two hours each, between 11am –7pm GMT (Monday to Fridays) and the best number to call you (preferably a mobile number). Please ensure that the system is accessible to you during these times.

The case number for this communication is 646480786. You may also receive an electronic survey from DELL to provide your feedback on the service provided by us on this email would appreciate your participation in the survey as your feedback provides us with an opportunity to improve our services and customer experience.

Thank you for choosing Dell.

Regards,

Kapil Kumar

Dell Expired Warranty Support
                    That is their reply, i'll get a reply for bob sorted tomorrow. I can see this running and running.

Comment

Working...
                    X