• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Truth will out as City regulator prepares to kill off ‘liar’s loans’

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truth will out as City regulator prepares to kill off ‘liar’s loans’

he multibillion-pound self-certification mortgage industry, in which customers are not required to provide proof of income, is set to be banned by the financial regulator.

Dubbed “liar’s loans” by critics, self-cert loans were blamed for playing a large part in the housing bubble and ensuing financial crisis.

The Financial Services Authority (FSA) is effectively planning to kill off self-cert home loans by introducing a rule compelling lenders to insist that customers provide evidence of their income.

The initiative will be part of the FSA’s keenly awaited mortgage review, which will be published early next week. The sweeping report will cover all aspects of the mortgage market and is intended to set the regulatory environment for years to come. The FSA may also regulate mortgages for landlords for the first time.

Experts believe that self-cert accounted for one third of new loans in 2007, or about £100 billion of the £300 billion loans granted that year. Buy-to-let accounts for 12 per cent of all properties, or more than three million homes.

More here: http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle6872004.ece

Does this mean I have to prove I am a millionaire now?

Comment

Don't you have a business to run? Run along now junior poster
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

how will this affect me?

In about a year me and the mrs want to buy a house (depending on the market). She doesnt work (looking after the kid) so our sole income is my Ltd co (of which she is a salaried shareholding director)

Does this mean we can only borrow by taking into account our "meagre" salaries and not our divvies or company accounts?

if thats the case we wont get a mortgage big enough to pay for the stamp duty!

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
          how will this affect me?

In about a year me and the mrs want to buy a house (depending on the market). She doesnt work (looking after the kid) so our sole income is my Ltd co (of which she is a salaried shareholding director)

Does this mean we can only borrow by taking into account our "meagre" salaries and not our divvies or company accounts?

You want one of them brokers that get mortgages for contractors...
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

how will this affect me?

Looks like you are screwed then. The picture might become a bit rosier if you stop dodging taxes so blatantly.

HTH
            “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

dont they self cert you or is it on day rate?

Comment

Looks like you are screwed then. The picture might become a bit rosier if you stop dodging taxes so blatantly.

HTH
                Cheeky so and so, i am in business i'll have you know.

Comment

Cheeky so and so, i am in business i'll have you know.
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

how will this affect me?

Provide your accounts going back a few years to demonstrate your deemed salary.

Hmmm. Deemed salary. Where have I heard that before?

Comment

Working...
                    X