• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Phishing - a warning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC Phishing - a warning

I jusy got an email with the following:

Subject: Notice of Underreported Income

Taxpayer ID: rob-00000006753860UK
    Tax Type: INCOME TAX
    Issue: Unreported/Underreported Income (Fraud Application)
    Please review your tax statement on HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) website (click on the link below):
    review tax statement for taxpayer id: rob-00000006753860UK
    HM Revenue and Customs
    Coffee's for closers

Hahaha do people still fall for those?

Comment

Only the one e-mail? You lucky, lucky bastard. I've been getting about a dozen of these per day from the US IRS and now the HMRC for weeks.

I've just checked my deleted items on one machine it has 68 of them from yesterday. There is another e-mail account that I haven't checked yet. It gets some too. So I'll probably get about 80 per day.
      Last edited by HairyArsedBloke; 13 October 2009, 08:59. Reason: Figs.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I received one this morning also. The first one. I use Mailwasher Pro to bounce them back but have no idea if the act of bouncing them back helps me in the long run or if they just keep on sending more emails regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
          Only the one e-mail? You lucky, lucky bastard. I've been getting about a dozen of these per day from the US IRS and now the HMRC for weeks.

I've just checked my deleted items on one machine it has 68 of them from yesterday. There is another e-mail account that I haven't checked yet. It gets some too. So I'll probably get about 80 per day.
          I haven't received a single one. Do the fraudsters all think that I am worthless?

Oh the shame.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetandsour View Post
            I haven't received a single one. Do the fraudsters all think that I am worthless?

Oh the shame.
            That was my first one...
            You probably haven't got any because you're more careful with your email address than others
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post

WHS, loads of them.
              ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

You can tell it's not really HMRC, because there are no spelling mistakes and it wasn't immediately followed by a second email saying the account details on the first were misprinted.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                  You can tell it's not really HMRC, because there are no spelling mistakes and it wasn't immediately followed by a second email saying the account details on the first were misprinted.
                  And they didn't include your bank account details and accidently CC in the rest of the north west?
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

WTF !!!!

I had to go out at 2:30 for a meeting - just got back.

Across HAB Inc and HAB Me. I've got 40 of these bastards between 2pm and 5pm.

ENOUGH!!
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X