• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it possible to include a salary bonus to raise SMP?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to include a salary bonus to raise SMP?

Afternoon,

Im wondering if anyone can help?

Me and my wife are both contractors, are 50/50 shareholders and both directors of one limited company...

My wife is expecting in March 2010 and currently we are both paid a low gross annual salaries of under £10k.

We have also taken enough dividends to find ourselves both in the higher rate of tax for this tax year.

We are currently considering paying my wife a bonus of £20k+ in the months of Oct / Nov 09 (£10k+ a month) to raise what can be claimed through SMP...

Being able to claim back 104.5% would help us financially, instead of paying the £20k+ in dividends - this would bring at least a £2,500 ptax bill each on the net dividend received.

Do you think this would be allowable?

The cost to us receiving the money this way would be more tax efficient than in dividends or am i missing some kind of legal catch?

I checked the SMP Calculator on the HMRC website.....and it seems to work out better for us.

Thanks....

Newdad2be

Don't want to appear negative or rude but isn't asking a fairly complex tax question on a board of strangers a bit finger in the wind when accountants do this for a living? I know who I would be asking.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by YNWA View Post
      The cost to us receiving the money this way would be more tax efficient than in dividends or am i missing some kind of legal catch?
      I can't be bothered to understand your calcs (I'm pretty lazy) but have you missed the Employers NI catch?
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
      X