• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses prior to company closure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses prior to company closure

I invested in some new computer equipment (paid for my MyCo) a few months ago, but I'm now considering taking a permie role. Could there be any issues with the taxman re. such business expenses incurred a short time before a company goes dormant or is closed?

Originally posted by Kess View Post
    I invested in some new computer equipment (paid for my MyCo) a few months ago, but I'm now considering taking a permie role. Could there be any issues with the taxman re. such business expenses incurred a short time before a company goes dormant or is closed?
    The only issue will be that I presume you will retain the computer equipment after the company folds. Therefore to do things correctly you should treat it as though the company sells you the computer equipment upon folding. It'll be second hand, but only a few months old, so you should try to figure out some suitable market value at time of cessation. Make sure to factor VAT in as well if the company's registered.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
      The only issue will be that I presume you will retain the computer equipment after the company folds. Therefore to do things correctly you should treat it as though the company sells you the computer equipment upon folding. It'll be second hand, but only a few months old, so you should try to figure out some suitable market value at time of cessation. Make sure to factor VAT in as well if the company's registered.
      IANAA etc.

Couldn't another option be treating it as a company asset so is subject to CGT? So, instead of paying, say, £1000 to the LtdCo for the laptop you get the laptop but only pay £100 (10% CGT) to the taxman?

Also, wouldn't it also fall under the Annual Investment Allowance? If the LtdCo is left dormant for a year, the laptop be fully written off (?).

Comment

Working...
      X