• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Goodbye Geocities

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodbye Geocities

Geocities closes today!
    news: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8325749.stm
    and special commemmorative http://www.xkcd.com/

A sad day for cat pictures and cowboy poetry.

Oh boll*x, they have been hosting a couple of my sites for years FOC. Is anyone else effectively offering free hosting these days?

Comment

It was when they launched and now

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        It was when they launched and now

True, but still a bit part of web history. I remember my first amateur www efforts went on there, though I must admit I did move away very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by singhr View Post
          Oh boll*x, they have been hosting a couple of my sites for years FOC. Is anyone else effectively offering free hosting these days?
          I think there must be millions of free hosting options, now diskspace and so forth is dirt-cheap. The chances are, your ISP might even offer it as part of the service.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            special commemmorative http://www.xkcd.com/
            I went there and saw a post about nachos. Is this subtle humour or can you post a specific link?

Comment

No. The nachos isn't it. The Geocities commemmoration is the starry page background and iffy layout (i.e. absolutely everything except for the cartoon in fact).

I suppose it helps if you know what xkcd normally looks like...are you sure you're an IT contractor?
              Last edited by thunderlizard; 26 October 2009, 17:29. Reason: forgot a word

Comment

No. The nachos isn't it. The Geocities commemmoration is the starry page background and iffy layout (i.e. absolutely everything except for the cartoon in fact).

I suppose it helps if you know what xkcd normally looks like...are you sure you're an IT contractor?
                Lol, I thought it looked weird but you caught me after driving home from working all day.

Comment

I do like the xkcd commemoration - reminds me of Bruce Lawson's Geocities 1996 CSS Zen Garden submission

Comment

Eek!
                    I've been putting too many ms in Commemoration! Don't tell my Latin teacher!

Comment

Working...
                    X