• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

64-bit Windows

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64-bit Windows

I'm thinking about getting a 64-bit version of windows for my next laptop upgrade. One thing I don't have experiece with though is 64-bit systems and what will/won't work.

Normal use includes:
    SQL Server 2005/2008 with SSIS, RS, AS (shouldn't be a problem just install the 64-bit versions)
    Visual Studio 2005/2008 mostly used for BI development
    Office including project, visio and occasionally access

And the odd game in the evening when away from home.

Any advice on whether or not to bother would be appreciated!
    Coffee's for closers

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a 64-bit version of windows for my next laptop upgrade. One thing I don't have experiece with though is 64-bit systems and what will/won't work.

Normal use includes:
    SQL Server 2005/2008 with SSIS, RS, AS (shouldn't be a problem just install the 64-bit versions)
    Visual Studio 2005/2008 mostly used for BI development
    Office including project, visio and occasionally access

And the odd game in the evening when away from home.

Any advice on whether or not to bother would be appreciated!
    I run all these things too - no problem on 64 bit win. The apps do not haveto be 64 bit.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

It will all work fine.

32 bit versions of software also work fine on 64 bit windows.

Comment

WTS. I've been running Windows 7 64-bit on my desktop for a couple of weeks, and the last few days on my laptop. Haven't noticed any difference to be honest. And that's mainly using VS2005 on a 32-bit C++ project.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Thanks!
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

ie64 does run like lightning though, even if theres no flash support.

Comment

Get it - I use it in the office (Win XP 64), vS 2008, Office etc - very good.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Get it - I use it in the office (Win XP 64), vS 2008, Office etc - very good.
                XP 64 is an unsupported hack of an operating system and you should know better that to tell others to use it!!

Windows 7 all the wayyy

woooo

Comment

Originally posted by dozer View Post
                  ie64 does run like lightning though, even if theres no flash support.
                  I can't tell any difference myself. 32-bit IE is the default, and there doesn't seem to be any reason to run the 64-bit version.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by themistry View Post
                    XP 64 is an unsupported hack of an operating system and you should know better that to tell others to use it!!
                    XP 64 is a "client" version of Windows Server 2003 64-bit.

Light weight - runs great on current hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X