• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Guide to contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guide to contracting

Hi everyone,

I'm going to start contracting soon, and it seems a real mine field. I've digested a lot of the information on this site and other places on the web.

These are free, but I've also noticed some sources of information that I can pay for. The contractor alliance on here is one, there's a book called the contractors handbook by a supposedly seasoned contractor and a book by someone that says they are a flexible working expert (www dot flexibleworkingexpert dot com**) - that one seems odd though as you don't actually get a hardcopy or even to print it, so to me it's no different to a website.

Does anyone use any of these and are they worth it? I can see the benefits of alliance membership (cheaper insurance etc.) but do you get exclusive guides that aren't on the main CUK website, and if so are they worth it?

Do handbooks go out of date, or do they offer a much more in-depth level of advice? If anyone has read any of them and reviewed them I'd be interested to hear of your reviews!

I suppose it depends on what sort of a contractor you are. If you're just doing the odd contract, maybe working through an umbrella, all you need is the guides you can find on sites like this. Read up on expense policies, ask any reasonable questions in forums like this etc.

If you see yourself as a career contractor, maybe you need a published guide. But then legislation changes so quickly, who knows when it gets out of date?

I see that the book you link to sends quarterly updates, but I find the operating model a bit weird. An annual subscription, what happens if you don't renew? Are you unable to read the book?

I'm not sure how many people want to sit at a PC reading a book. I'm not keen on the idea of installing propriety software either.

I think I know about the other book you refer to, but I won't mention it in too much detail as I think the owners of this site and him have had previous legal dealings. Hard copy, but again I see you can get updates with that too. More expensive, but it's yours to keep.

One benefit of an ebook over that though is that it won't be affected by the postal strike!

I'm personally not sure if you need these when starting out though. It's a shame you can't thumb through them and see the language that they're written in first, but in general I think you should be fine with the helpful folks on forums and a key number of quality news sites.

And the advice of a good accountant.

Comment

The definitive guide, written by real conractors and accountancy experts is the free one from the PCG website www.pcg.org.uk The one on this site is also pretty good, as is the guide on www.sjdaccountancy.com which explores a bit more of the financials.

Just becuase you pay for it doesn't mean it's right: there are various agendas at work. Some basically say go umbrella becuse it's easy and safe, while ignoring the minor detail it's also the most expensive way short of getting a real job. Or one of the sources you mention is suggesting, for example, that we all work under IR35 becuase we really are all disguised employees. Not sure I go along with that argument, but you will have to make your own mind up.

This is a complex arena these days, if you want to understand it in detail either spend 10 years learning it the hard way like I did, or read as much as you can find and look for the common threads. What you will find is that there is very little certainty.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by RainInSpain View Post
        Hi everyone,

I'm going to start contracting soon, and it seems a real mine field. I've digested a lot of the information on this site and other places on the web.

These are free, but I've also noticed some sources of information that I can pay for. The contractor alliance on here is one, there's a book called the contractors handbook by a supposedly seasoned contractor and a book by someone that says they are a flexible working expert (www dot flexibleworkingexpert dot com**) - that one seems odd though as you don't actually get a hardcopy or even to print it, so to me it's no different to a website.

In response to Beefy. Theres an example on the website that says that if you don't want to renew your subscription next year, you will get another copy sent to you in September with unlimited viewing access.

Does anyone use any of these and are they worth it? I can see the benefits of alliance membership (cheaper insurance etc.) but do you get exclusive guides that aren't on the main CUK website, and if so are they worth it?

Do handbooks go out of date, or do they offer a much more in-depth level of advice? If anyone has read any of them and reviewed them I'd be interested to hear of your reviews!
        I bought a copy of Great Expectations, and I had doubts about the concept described on the website. But it's not as you think, it's a book format, not website and it's well written and clear. The IR35 sections are good - the author takes you though steps to avoid IR35 that are both practical and realistic. I'd recommend it.

In response to Malvolio: there's no suggestion anywhere in the guide that says that everyone is demeed employed and should use an umbrella. God knows where you got that from!

In response to Beefy. It says on the website that if you don't want to renew your subscription next year, you get another copy sent to you in September with unlimited viewing access.
        Last edited by FrankieB; 31 October 2009, 17:36. Reason: Add something else

Comment

Thank you, it looks like everyone has their own opinion!

I'm probably going to see what is available for free on CUK and form the PCG, talk to a good accountant (I've been scouring these boards looking at all the posts asking for advice) and maybe, in the future, if I feel it is relevant look into purchasing something.

Comment

I'm of the opinion to favour the on-line guides, such as the PCG as already suggested.

The problem with a real book is that the legislation is ever changing and new updates obviously can't be added.

Comment

Originally posted by Sally BFCA View Post
              I'm of the opinion to favour the on-line guides, such as the PCG as already suggested.

The problem with a real book is that the legislation is ever changing and new updates obviously can't be added.
              Great Expectations does allow for regular updates, four times a year, prior to the next release in October 2010. You just need to subscribe for a very small annual fee and you can cancel the subscription when you want and without penalty.

Bel's website is very clear about this.

Comment

You might find this guide useful?

http://www.nixonwilliams.com/LimitedCompanyGuide.pdf
                "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieB View Post
                  In response to Malvolio: there's no suggestion anywhere in the guide that says that everyone is demeed employed and should use an umbrella. God knows where you got that from!
                  I didn't say that. Read it again.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    I didn't say that. Read it again.
                    "one of the sources you mention is suggesting, for example, that we all work under IR35 becuase we really are all disguised employees. Not sure I go along with that argument, but you will have to make your own mind up."

I thougtht that's what you were implying. I don't go along with your interpretation of Bel's guide as above. It's WRONG!

Have you read her articles on IR35? They are on various websites. Most suggest strategies and ways of being 'self employed', as reflected in her guide.

I thought you prided yourself on accuracy, not misrepresentation.

Comment

Working...
                    X