• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SQL and ...ASP.NET?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SQL and ...ASP.NET?

Dont shoot me down, genuine question here:

I've been in desktop and server support for ten years now and i am considering learning SQL and ASP.NET so as to change career direction, with a view to possibly getting a junior permie job to learn the ropes once i have my skills honed.

I'd like to get involved in the future in the way businesses manage their data, from DR and infrastructure through to contact databases or specific systems (e.g. bespoke Letting agency database).

A Would the experienced heads here recommend the above or am i wasting my time.

B Can anyone recommend some home learning resources for both the above.

C I appreciate that programming is a "you either have it, or you dont" skill/mindset - and i do have that mindset )

I can help you with B - a lot.
    As to A, whether its a good idea, I dont know. You need balls of steel to jump into this market.

If you decide to do it, give me a shout.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

well worth a go imh[umble]o. have a look at www.asp.net where you will find links to all sorts of material, tutorials as well as all the free software you'd need to get started. and of course, feel free to post here if you need further help.

Comment

can help you with B - a lot.
        As to A, whether its a good idea, I dont know. You need balls of steel to jump into this market.

If you decide to do it, give me a shout.

EO - I would greatly appreciate your assistance?

I have large balls made of brass, similar to those big round door handles in old stately homes.

I have a 6 week old kid now, time i wised up and got out of support and got a "real" job

Comment

Originally posted by NetwkSupport View Post
          EO - I would greatly appreciate your assistance?

I have large balls made of brass, similar to those big round door handles in old stately homes.

I have a 6 week old kid now, time i wised up and got out of support and got a "real" job
          pm winging right now

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

If I were you I'd choose the route of SQL Server DBA.

Web monkeys are ten a penny and are often located in India and the like.

DBA's never go hungry.

Comment

If I were you I'd choose the route of SQL Server DBA.

Web monkeys are ten a penny and are often located in India and the like.

DBA's never go hungry.

My ultimate plan is my own consultancy supporting local small businesses with their desk/server/data requirements/DR/ and Database needs (hence ASP.NET and SQL)

My plan isnt web - i can farm that work out to a "sub-contractor"

Guys - shoot me down in flames if you think the above it a pipe dream/waste of time.

Comment

Working...
              X