• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lunch Breaks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lunch Breaks

Hi,

I've just started my first contract and was hoping for a bit of advice. Basically do I HAVE to take a lunch break or can I opt out?

I've chosen to contract because I work around 2 small children so I can't commit to long term work - the 6 week contract I have got is fantastic. Anyway, due to school hours I can't work any more than 9-5 i.e. 8 hours a day. If I take a lunch break every day I can't do the 40 hour week I'm contracted to do.

I've got my own limited company which I am a director of if it makes any difference!

thanks for your help!
    ionna
    :-)

What does your contract say?

In my present role the agency timesheet system won't accept anything less than 30 mins for lunch. I have explained this to the timesheet authoriser and adjust my start time accordingly if I don't take a break.

Other places it won't matter a jot.

Comment

I am suprised you didn't sort this out before you started. Personally I would work 9-5 and see if anyone objects. If your work if fine then I doubt there will be an issue.

Comment

Doesn't the working time directive say something about needing to take a break? Of course, that it an issue for your employer rather than your client.

I wouldn't bother about it - in fact, I'd take an hour for lunch and bill it anyway. Only cut back if the client moans too loudly about it.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

If you are in a professional role (Manager, PM, developer, BA... that sort of thing) that I doubt anyone will complain, or even notice. If you were a cleaner for example, where they are generally tightly controlled with time cards and such like, then it would probably be different.
          Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

There's employment laws about taking a minimum X minutes break for every Y hours worked, but as a contractor, you're not an employee, so the rules don't apply to you.

I suggest you either follow TheFaQQer's advice and just bill the client whilst taking a lunch, or, if you're a bit more concerned, take in sandwiches and work through lunch. If the client comments, simply say you're ensuring you still do your 40 hours/week and can't start earlier/leave later due to children commitments.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
              There's employment laws about taking a minimum X minutes break for every Y hours worked, but as a contractor, you're not an employee, so the rules don't apply to you.
              When working, you are always an employee of a company, so the rules will still apply. As I said, though, it's an issue that needs to be resolved with your employer, not your client.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

hey,

Thanks for your replies everyone. I'm an ASP.NET developer working through an agency so I have to complete a timesheet every week. The client doesn't really bother - they are pretty flexible so I've been eating sarnies at my desk. I think it is more me that is worried about doing the full 40 hours so that I get paid the maximum!

But since I am both employer (it's my limited company that I work for) and employee I'm worried that I am in breach of the working time regulations by choosing not to take my breaks and hoped someone would know if what I'm doing is legally OK - or at least is probably legally OK...

cheers
                ionna

Comment

just work at twice your normal speed for a couple of hours a day to make up the shortfall

Comment

contractors are known for coming late ,leaving early and long lunch breaks
                    why break the tradition

Comment

Working...
                    X