• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview Question

For my last interview I got asked some 'teamworking' questions.

"How do you handle the situation where someone else on the team hasn't delivered something which they promised to deliver".

As an engineer on a team, how do you answer this?

Tim

1. Dont do "interviews", that is too much much like an employee. I have a full and frank discussion with a project manager where I demonstarte the skills and added value my business has brought to previous clients.

2. If you have to answer it point out that first you are not responsible for the performance of others, nor should you be regarded as a team member, but, first you would ask the guy when he will deliver, if you can work around that then carry on, if you cant or he doesnt deliver you approach a coleague, then a team leader and then a manger to aply pressure.

All IMHO.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

LGM

1) It's irrelevent to my problem what you call this process. It was a telephone chat, the interviewer has the upper hand here, you get the answer wrong - you don't get the job (or whatever you want to call it)

2) I know what you do. But What I'm not sure about is what is the expected way of answering the question.

Thanks for your insight

tim

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
        LGM

1) It's irrelevent to my problem what you call this process. It was a telephone chat, the interviewer has the upper hand here, you get the answer wrong - you don't get the job (or whatever you want to call it)

2) I know what you do. But What I'm not sure about is what is the expected way of answering the question.

Thanks for your insight

tim
        I'd say that I'd carry on as normal and deliver what I'd been asked for. If they don't like that answer then it wouldn't be the contract for me. After all I'm not an employee and it's not my problem if the client has hired incompetent/lazy people. I'm being paid to implement the requirements I'm given.

Any time you start doing other work that you're not specifically contracted for you're into employee status/IR35 territory.

Bob
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

aha ! but what if your asked to meet unrealistic deadlines then you become the one that doesn't deliver !

Comment

Originally posted by messiah
            aha ! but what if your asked to meet unrealistic deadlines then you become the one that doesn't deliver !
            Then you need to realign the customers perspectives.
            Also sell them your idea of why their initial deadlines are unrealistic.

Comment

Much though I agree with what you are saying, when a client wants a BoS contractor, telling him that: his recruitment criteria is wrong, that I'm selling a service and that when he hires me I'm going to reorganise his project, is not going to get me the gig.

Much though I'd like to be supplying a service, the reality is that all of my potential clients want a perma-temp who looks just like one of their employees
              (preferably one that they can *turn* into a perm in a year). (Not that it matters, most of the jobs are overseas, so IR35 doesn't apply)

So back in the real world, does anyone have any views on what the best answer to this question is?

tim

Comment

"Sorry i thought this meeting was for a contract position as an engineer, not as either a team leader/manager or permanent employee. If you wish to expand it to cover the former, i am sure we can reach some agreement on a revised costing.

I will contact the agency and once it is all sorted we can discuss things like that"

that I'm selling a service and that when he hires me I'm going to reorganise his project, is not going to get me the gig.
                Actually you would be susprised, sometimes telling the client what is wrong with his current plans and putting forward an alternative is just the right thing to say. At least twice that alone got me the contract and once a rate rise right off the bat.

Your "expertise" is not only your codeing skills (if "just" a programer) but also your experience.

Just be sure your alternative really is better.
                Last edited by Not So Wise; 29 November 2005, 20:31.

Comment

I'd say "Fire the useless ****". If I'm hired, it's my kind of place. Otherwise it's too touchy feely for me anyway and I'm best out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise
                    "Sorry i thought this meeting was for a contract position as an engineer, not as either a team leader/manager or permanent employee. If you wish to expand it to cover the former, i am sure we can reach some agreement on a revised costing.
                    I think you have identified the point. This *was* an interview for a position as an engineer and the question was asked to identify whether I would work well in *their* team environment. I wasn't expected to *manage* the problem, they wanted to know how I would work with it.

I started off down the "manage out the problem" answer and it quickly became apparent that this wasn't the answer required.

So what is the right answer?

Comment

Working...
                    X