PDA

View Full Version : Skiing over Xmas?

tenpin
19th November 2009, 16:17
Between contracts in December, so am looking to get a few miles under my skis with wife plus kids in the week over Xmas. Any recommendations for resorts/companies?

Xenophon
19th November 2009, 16:22
http://www.lessaisies.com/resort-village-snow-ski-france.html

Moscow Mule
19th November 2009, 16:24
Between contracts in December, so am looking to get a few miles under my skis with wife plus kids in the week over Xmas. Any recommendations for resorts/companies?

Meribel is full of Brits and the instructors mostly speak good English. We've been there for NYE the last couple of years and it has been good.

Driving is also a lot easier than flying if you have 4x people with their own equipment.

Xenophon
19th November 2009, 16:24
..........and to get there, you want to drive there in a..........

Oh, forget it.

Moose423956
19th November 2009, 16:25
Hemel Hempstead (http://www.thesnowcentre.com/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_term=ski%20slope&utm_content=3957046052&utm_campaign=Snowdome%20Generic)

Moscow Mule
19th November 2009, 16:26
Hemel Hempstead (http://www.thesnowcentre.com/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_term=ski%20slope&utm_content=3957046052&utm_campaign=Snowdome%20Generic)

This is all we can afford this year...

RichardCranium
19th November 2009, 16:31
Hemel Hempstead (http://www.thesnowcentre.com/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_term=ski%20slope&utm_content=3957046052&utm_campaign=Snowdome%20Generic):yay:

You can go to Wally World round the corner for entertainment (provided you don't mind being stabbed by a drunk chav) and stay in the Travel Inn (the traveller's hotel with no car park, FFS).

(Edit: I learned to ski on that slope many years ago when it was a dry slope (Edit edit: and it was a teensy bit cheaper when it was a dry slope too.) )

Moose423956
19th November 2009, 16:38
I hate skiing. Did it once. Spent a fortune on dry slope lessons, had a stomach bug the first day out there which I spent vomitting, had one lesson, then tore my knee ligament on the nursery slopes afterwards, and spent the rest of the week hobbling around on crutches and having physio. And the other people on the trip wondered why I didn't have a good time. Tossers.

I also hate listening to skiing types banging on about the black runs they've conquered, and the wonderful powdery snow they found off piste. I wish they'd all ski at high speed into a tree.

chef
19th November 2009, 16:43
have stayed here (http://www.ski-dazzle.com/) in La Tania (next valley over from Meribel in the Trois Vallee), good accomodation, excellent chef cooks for you and ideally situated for ski in/out but just far enough away from the Courchevel 1850 ruskie's

milanbenes
19th November 2009, 17:02
I'm driving down to Austria weekend of the 6th of December with the lads for a weekend's skiing, somewhere near Innsbruck

Milan.

Churchill
19th November 2009, 17:08
I'm driving down to Austria weekend of the 6th of December with the lads for a weekend's bum love, somewhere near Innsbruck

Milan.

FTFY!

gingerjedi
19th November 2009, 17:14
I hate skiing. Did it once. Spent a fortune on dry slope lessons, had a stomach bug the first day out there which I spent vomitting, had one lesson, then tore my knee ligament on the nursery slopes afterwards, and spent the rest of the week hobbling around on crutches and having physio. And the other people on the trip wondered why I didn't have a good time. Tossers.

I also hate listening to skiing types banging on about the black runs they've conquered, and the wonderful powdery snow they found off piste. I wish they'd all ski at high speed into a tree.

What about snowboarding?

RichardCranium
19th November 2009, 17:15
2nd attempt:
I'm dreaming of driving down to Austria weekend of the 6th of December with the lads for a weekend's skiing, somewhere near Innsbruck instead of spending the weekend trying to patch these .Net systems

Milan.Also FTFY

NotAllThere
19th November 2009, 17:22
Grächen (http://www.graechen.ch/sites/)is a great resort if you've got kids. Season starts 19th December.

NotAllThere
19th November 2009, 17:24
I also hate listening to skiing types banging on about the black runs they've conquered, and the wonderful powdery snow they found off piste. ....

Conquering? I just skis down 'em.

And I did once go off piste in fresh powder (with an expert guide). Quite an amazing experience, so I'm not surprised people bang on about it.

Moscow Mule
19th November 2009, 17:27
And I did once go off piste in fresh powder (with an expert guide). Quite an amazing experience, so I'm not surprised people bang on about it.

It's awesome. Like snowboarding on velvet, and it doesn't hurt when you land on your arse (again).

gingerjedi
19th November 2009, 17:47

I did the same in Flaine, good fun but I quickly learnt to keep the ski's close together in powder to minimise sinking after disappearing down what must have been a 4ft hole.:o

Courchevel 1650 was good too, not so many scary looking Russians as 1850. Meribel looked like a fantastic place to stay but we only went there for lunch.

snaw
19th November 2009, 18:22
Key for you is to get a resort that's got altititude, more chance of having snow (Xmas can be a bit hit and miss with Ski resorts), or at least cold enough to make snow.

Austria is great for families. Go higher up, like St Anton.

Best European resorts imo would be Val D'Isere, Meribel & Chamonix is always good. I loved Serre Chevalier, but it's more of a boarders place than skiers, terrain wise.

But for me nowhere beats Canada. Best mountains in the world imo, and some insanely good ski-ing, and facilities. Bit far to go for a week though ...

Great resource, for resort info, ski conditions etc is the uk ski club:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/default.aspx

snaw
19th November 2009, 18:23
Conquering? I just skis down 'em.

A great powder run is better than sex. IMO ;)

OwlHoot
19th November 2009, 19:13

Wimp!

I've skiied down the north face of the Eiger loads of times, although it's a bugger getting to the top again for each run.

dropcliffsnotbombs
19th November 2009, 20:45
But for me nowhere beats Canada. Best mountains in the world imo, and some insanely good ski-ing, and facilities. Bit far to go for a week though ...http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/default.aspx

Could be worth the trip - more than 4 metres of snow in November for Whistler. Record breaking snowfall for November and there's still 10 days left

TheFaQQer
19th November 2009, 21:25
What about snowboarding?

Snowboarding is for tw@ts who can't ski.

TheFaQQer
19th November 2009, 21:25
A great powder run is better than sex. IMO ;)

As much as I love skiing, it sounds like you're doing it wrong.

snaw
19th November 2009, 22:06

Really, this old debate thing again?

Who cares, if yer having fun does it matter if it's ski's, a board or even gayblades?

Most older boarders skied at some point, switched and never looked back. These days the reverse is happening, ski technology has massively been influenced by snowboarding and now the kids are going to ski's cause you can do more sick stff on them than on a board.

Either way, if yer having fun wgas?

snaw
19th November 2009, 22:07
As much as I love skiing, it sounds like you're doing it wrong.

Nope, sounds like your doing it wrong ;)

gingerjedi
19th November 2009, 22:41

I was taking the pi55 BTW.

Bagpuss
20th November 2009, 10:27
I went to Colorado earlier this year, which beats europe hands down. Better value for money, better snow (no ice), nicer people. Good exchange rate.

tenpin
20th November 2009, 10:32
I went to Colorado earlier this year, which beats europe hands down. Better value for money, better snow (no ice), nicer people. Good exchange rate.

I lived in Colorado for a few years and as a CO resident, one could purchase the Buddy Pass, which for $250 gave you unlimited skiing at Vail, Breckenridge, Beaver Creek, A-Basin, Keystone and Winter Park. Awesome time, great snow. Worked in a great company that allowed you to have a ski day in the week and make up time at the weekend (when the slopes were packed with day trippers from Denver). Since moving back to the UK, the opportunities have not been so available, and having kids limits the freedom somewhat too.

Tempted by Meribel or La Plagne...depends on whether it snows!

Bagpuss
20th November 2009, 10:39
Last season was good in Europe, but previous seasons have been pretty bad.
I went to Andora a few years ago and you could see the grass under the piste in places.