• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Want to use my time to some benefit - wife wants a website

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to use my time to some benefit - wife wants a website

I'm on the bench, I'm a PM and not a techie - last time I developed anything was 14 years ago. I am familiar with how HTML looks and have done simple changes to HTML but have never built any HTML from scratch.

Wife wants a website for her up and coming business doing astrology readings, the idea being to get customers to pay using Google checkout and / or paypal. Initially it will be a simple few pages with a logo, photos, contact details, information about the services provided, prices, the right keywords for SEO, etc. and then a "book a consultation" facility, which once paid can be delivered over the phone or skype or facebook chat. Later integration to a facebook 'fan club' page and cross promotions to other 'alternative therapy' providers will be incorporated.

I'm struggling to work out which hosting sites / web building tools are any good having tried a google search and millions of results is less than helpful.

Any serious recommendations would be helpful please.

TIA.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

how about google sites?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I don't think Google checkout will allow you to take payment for such things as astrology readings. They are pretty strict and when I used them for one of my websites they objected (the service is not a physical delivery and was against their code) and closed down my account within a week.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I don't think Google checkout will allow you to take payment for such things as astrology readings. They are pretty strict and when I used them for one of my websites they objected (the service is not a physical delivery and was against their code) and closed down my account within a week.
        Thanks for the tip!

So what were you selling then nudge nudge wink wink....

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          how about google sites?
          Is that a first hand recommendation from having used it?

I'm taking a look now....

PS I forgot to mention - I need to tie the site down to a proper domain name too.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
            Is that a first hand recommendation from having used it?

I'm taking a look now....

PS I forgot to mention - I need to tie the site down to a proper domain name too.
            I know people who have no real web experience who have used it to get a web presence.
            I'm investigating using it myself as after 3 years its quite clear that I'll never get round to building a website myself
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
              Thanks for the tip!

So what were you selling then nudge nudge wink wink....
              Travel services, hotel reservations, travel insurance, airport parking etc. Nothing sinister, it's just they focus on physical shipments, they don't like services.

Comment

I do hope you can get this idea to work. My mother-in-law did something similar, got nothing and packed it in after 2 years. Site look very good too. Good luck.

Comment

Is it your intention that the site will be the marketing tool, i.e., people find the web site when looking for such things, or that she advertises in other ways and directs people at the web site?

The answer to that will make quite a difference in how that web site should look and how it should be hosted.

(especially given you will be on a learning curve and there is only you.)
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
                    I do hope you can get this idea to work. My mother-in-law did something similar, got nothing and packed it in after 2 years. Site look very good too. Good luck.
                    Thanks for the good wishes.

My wife didn't think it would help, but her beautician and reflexologist kept telling her how much business they were getting through the web, but my wife will supplement this with traditional advertising and cross-promotions and referrals.

Anyway, if nothing happens the most that is lost is the time taken to set the site up and the domain costs.

Better to have tried than not!

Comment

Working...
                    X