• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What a lot of people on this forum need ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a lot of people on this forum need ...

...for Christmas.

"Eats, shoots and leaves" by Lynne Truss
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru
    ...for Christmas.

hmmmmmmmmmm

From George Orwell shunning the semicolon, to New Yorker editor Harold Ross’s epic arguments with James Thurber over commas

feck that:::,

Comment

What we REALLY need is a GOOD set of emoticons from EZBOARD, ie:

One of the emoitons is present here, why not the rest?

BRING BACK OLD EMOTICONS!!!

Comment

AtW, have you got nothing more worthwhile to do in your life than asking for the return of some abstract objects that exist only for the uneducated to express emotions they are unable to convey with words?
        Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Elementary really

Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
          AtW, have you got nothing more worthwhile to do in your life than asking for the return of some abstract objects that exist only for the uneducated to express emotions they are unable to convey with words?
          The answer is in the question. Atw - worthwhile life!
          Why not?

Comment

*blushes remembering the fruitless ten minutes earlier this morning trying to find the winking emoticon..."
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
              ...for Christmas.

Why do we all need a Panda Bear ?

Seen below eating shoots & leaves

Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

but not eating, shooting and leaving...

Let's face it, anyone under about 35 years old will not have been taught to construct and deconstruct English, so we can't really complain that they can't do it proper like what us old farts prefer.

But hey, it's a living language. What we use now is different to what I was taught, to what the Victorians used (go read Dickens) and what the elizabethans used (go read Shakespeare). I write properly because I can and because I get a degree of pleasure out of it. It doesn't make my generation right and modern English wrong.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

different from

hth

tl

Comment

Point proven, perhaps, dear boy, but to quote OED:

There is little difference in sense between different from, different to, and different than. Different from is generally regarded as the correct use in British English, while different than is largely restricted to North America.
                    However I'm Welsh. Out in the wilds where I come from, we say "different to"
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X