• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have you got a clear sky tonight? (Sun 13th Dec)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you got a clear sky tonight? (Sun 13th Dec)

If so, fancy wrapping up warm and going outside?

Annual Geminids meteor shower set to light up night sky

Skygazers in the northern hemisphere are preparing for the high point of the annual Geminids meteor shower. The shower is expected to be especially easy to see this year because it is nearly the new Moon, meaning there is less moonlight to obscure it.

The meteors can be seen streaking across the night sky from 2000 GMT onwards, reaching a peak after 2200.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    If so, fancy wrapping up warm and going outside?

Annual Geminids meteor shower set to light up night sky
    After reading about triffids when I was young there is no way I'd be looking up at meteor showers, not even on TV - which reminds me, there ain't even guns legal in this country to deal with the fallout in such cases

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      there ain't even guns legal in this country to deal with the fallout in such cases
      Guns didn't work. They used CD launchers. (I cannot rememer what they called them, but that's what they were.)

But it is odd all the good weedkillers have been banned ... you don't think this was all planned by the alien Giant HogWeed do you?
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

After reading about triffids when I was young there is no way I'd be looking up at meteor showers, not even on TV - which reminds me, there ain't even guns legal in this country to deal with the fallout in such cases
        Your desire to own a gun and make it legal in the UK makes me think of this every time:

"But I know America to be a forward thinking country because otherwise why would you have let that retard and cowboy fella be president for eight years?
        "We were very impressed. We thought it was nice of you to let him have a go, because, in England, he wouldn't be trusted with a pair of scissors."

Comment

there is no way I'd be looking up at meteor showers
          Since I'm only a few miles up the road and have 100% cloud cover (8 oktas / overcast) + rain, I think you'll be safe tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            "But I know America to be a forward thinking country because otherwise why would you have let that retard and cowboy fella be president for eight years?"
            NuLiebor was in power much longer and the damage they did to this country is much bigger (in relative terms, maybe even in absolute) than Bush even if he did 3rd term.

If I had a choice whether to either jail all NuLiebor politicians or allow good gun laws, I'd go the the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              Since I'm only a few miles up the road and have 100% cloud cover (8 oktas / overcast) + rain, I think you'll be safe tonight.
              I am planning to be at a local boozer and leave £50 note as a tip to bartender

Comment

NuLiebor was in power much longer and the damage they did to this country is much bigger (in relative terms, maybe even in absolute) than Bush even if he did 3rd term.

If I had a choice whether to either jail all NuLiebor politicians or allow good gun laws, I'd go the the latter.
                I still wouldn't trust you with a pair of scissors, let alone an AK47

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  I still wouldn't trust you with a pair of scissors, let alone an AK47
                  AK47 is an improved version of StG 44, not accurate, too powerful - not very good.

If it was legal, I'd get (purely for defensive purposes) a few Glocks, HK MP5 (w/ silencer), M4A1 w/ SOPMOD.

Local well trained militia leaders should have access to heavier weaponry: RPGs, machine guns etc. In USA they are called "National Guards".

This is not for everyone - only people who go through tests and can afford 3rd party insurance should qualify. This could have been a good earner to the state actually - combined with natural attrition in criminals it is a win-win for taxpayers.
                  Last edited by AtW; 13 December 2009, 18:37.

Comment

AK47 is an improved version of StG 44, not accurate, too powerful - not very good.
                    That's a bit like comparing the Model T to a GT40.

The AK47 is the most popular weapon in the world, it will fire covered in mud or full of sand, and doesn't jam, overheat or break. If fires a Warsaw pact standard 7.62 shell, again probably the most popular cartridge in the world. If you can shoot straight, and you want a weapon to see you through civil unrest you could do a LOT worse.

The MP5 is a poor choice - it takes a LOT of looking after (needs oiling every day) and will overheat and jam after 3-4 magazines (if you are lucky).

The M4A1 is an acceptable weapon, but is subject to a similar cleaning routine to the MP5. As for getting a SOPMOD - what are you going to get on your rail? I'd counsel against getting a grenade launcher....
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X