• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gobble

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gobble

We've had a turkey in our freezer for about a year now.
    Any thoughts on whether it's safe to cook and eat or not ?

Rhubarb.

The internet says it will be safe to eat but quality may have deteriorated.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...df6c68fbbc2a74

hth

Comment

Originally posted by rhubarb View Post

Rhubarb.
      Look inside your freezer door. I thank cow and sheep can last for up to 9 months. Fowl would be 3 months, so I think your turkey is no good. Sorry.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

It depends upon how cold your freezer is. (And it may have already been 2 years old when you bought it, as we discovered when the Missus worked for Waitrose and confirmed when she worked at Tesco.)

Personally, I'd get it cooked and eaten and buy another one for Xmas. But then, we keep our freezer set to its "Alien Cryogenic" setting.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          It depends upon how cold your freezer is. (And it may have already been 2 years old when you bought it, as we discovered when the Missus worked for Waitrose and confirmed when she worked at Tesco.)

Personally, I'd get it cooked and eaten and buy another one for Xmas. But then, we keep our freezer set to its "Alien Cryogenic" setting.
          Now that's cold. Brrrrrrrr. I suppose every time you go for an ice lolly you have to be quick in case "it" wakes.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Now that's cold. Brrrrrrrr.
            It certainly is. But according to the dial the contents will be fine because that end of the scale is simply marked "0K".
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Rhubarb.
              I wouldn't eat it. Food poisoning is unpleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                (And it may have already been 2 years old when you bought it, as we discovered when the Missus worked for Waitrose and confirmed when she worked at Tesco.)
                Thats a very good point!
                Don't think we'll bother taking the risk.

Thanks!
                Rhubarb.

Comment

Thats a very good point!
                  Don't think we'll bother taking the risk.

Thanks!
                  Rhubarb.
                  We're good, aren't we?

Comment

Frozen supermarket turkey should be safe for years, given the way they pump it full of brine under high pressure, to increase its weight (*), and reduce the risk of food poisoning for people who leave the cooked turkey lying around for days over Christmas.

Damn, reminds me, I haven't got round to ordering my goose yet. It's probably too late now.

(*) The supermarkets claim the brine treatment is designed to make it more juicy.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X