• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cover up of use of torture?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cover up of use of torture?

Stinky linky.

CPS defends secret proceedings that heard evidence of torture complicity

The Crown Prosecution Service has defended its role in a series of secret court hearings during which evidence of British involvement in the torture of a terrorism suspect in Pakistan was heard behind closed doors, with the public and media excluded.

In an operation later denounced in the Commons as an "obvious case of the outsourcing of torture", MI5 and MI6 officers and detectives from Greater Manchester police all played a part in the events that led to Rangzieb Ahmed being unlawfully detained in Pakistan, where three of his fingernails were ripped out.

But their involvement was largely concealed from the public as a result of the CPS's successful application for the use of in camera procedure.

The CPS failed to explain why it had applied for in camera hearings in the Ahmed case, other than to say that they had been authorised and controlled by an experienced high court judge. It also declined to comment on subsequent reports by a United Nations special rapporteur on human rights and parliament's human rights committee, which both concluded that conduct of the sort that was disclosed during the Ahmed case amounted to official complicity in torture.

Last month Human Rights Watch reported that there was clear UK complicity in the torture of Ahmed and several other British citizens detained in Pakistan.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Outsourcing torture....hmmm....

Bob, how much to kick sasguru in the bollox until he talks sense?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Outsourcing torture....hmmm....

Bob, how much to kick sasguru in the bollox until he talks sense?

Please, no charge Sahib but we give still plenty quickness and repetitioness
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I'm all for torture, as long its done to somebody else
        Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

I thought there were scientific studies that showed torture was no good. The victims just say any old carp and sign anything you give them just so long as you stop hurting them.

On a more serious note, I was looking at the water boarding thing some time back and, unsurprisingly, it's none too pleasant. Not only do the victims feel as if they are going to die, they really are about to die. The trick is to bring them close to that point and then bring them back. Rinse and repeat multiple times daily and once for luck.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            I thought there were scientific studies that showed torture was no good. The victims just say any old carp and sign anything you give them just so long as you stop hurting them.
            That makes torture perfect to regimes who are primarily concerned with getting "convictions" done on the "guilty" parties.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

On a more serious note, I was looking at the water boarding thing some time back and, unsurprisingly, it's none too pleasant. Not only do the victims feel as if they are going to die, they really are about to die. The trick is to bring them close to that point and then bring them back. Rinse and repeat multiple times daily and once for luck.
              Isn't that autoerotic asphyxiation?
              (Sometimes known as a Carradine).

Comment

I suppose in theory, one of those Hollywood sort of scenarios where 5 million people are going to die unless you find out where the atom bomb is hidden in downtown Manhatten, one can justify it but I can't imagine that applies too often.

He's a nasty horrible terrorist of course but let the state get away with torture on "nasty" people and who else are they going to do it to when it suits them? We need independent scrutiny, checks and sanctions on everything government does. In the absence of so few checks I think democracy is likely to be short lived.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

[QUOTE=xoggoth;1025160]I suppose in theory, one of those Hollywood sort of scenarios where 5 million people are going to die unless you find out where the atom bomb is hidden in downtown Manhatten, one can justify it but I can't imagine that applies too often.

QUOTE]

It never happens but always makes a good excuse and when that one is established it becomes, it’s too dangerous to wait until the bomb is hidden. Then:
                  it’s too dangerous to wait until the bomb to be made. Then:
                  it’s too dangerous to wait until the bomb is designed. Then:
                  it’s too dangerous to wait until the bomb is thought up. Then:
                  it’s too dangerous to wait until the bomb be talked about. Then:
                  it’s too dangerous to wait until the find the right suspect. Then:
                  lets torture at random to deter bomb making.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                  X