• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PM Recruited - Same Work Higher Rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PM Recruited - Same Work Higher Rate

My client co has just recruited an additional contract PM to take on some project work I had been managing, but have had to handover in order to manage some higher priority project work. There would be too much work for me alone.

However the new PM is being taken on at a 12% higher rate than I am on currently - I know because I have seen the approved job requisition and job ad for the role.

My contract expires at the end of Feb and all things being well I am hoping to be offered another extension. Should I sit tight and look to negotitate at renewal, or say something to my agent now (now I mean in Jan), or just accept it and do nothing ?

Just to add I am willing to call the clientco/agent bluff if they tell me to do one.

Ask for a raise at renewal and be prepared to walk if required.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      Ask for a raise at renewal and be prepared to walk if required.
      WHS +1
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You know what ClientCo is paying the agency for the other person.
        You know what your agent is paying you.

But

Do you know what the agency is paying the other person?
        Do you know what ClientCo is paying your agent for you?

(And don't assume that just because the client has specified a fixed %age margin that the agency will stick to that.)
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          You know what ClientCo is paying the agency for the other person.
          You know what your agent is paying you.

But

Do you know what the agency is paying the other person?
          Do you know what ClientCo is paying your agent for you?

(And don't assume that just because the client has specified a fixed %age margin that the agency will stick to that.)
          The agency margin is the same between me and the new PM and what we are both getting....

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
            The agency margin is the same between me and the new PM and what we are both getting....
            How do you know? They do lie. (And that includes Catalist suppliers too.)
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              How do you know? They do lie. (And that includes Catalist suppliers too.)
              I have seen the job req and the job ad and also see my own invoices as I have to include my costs in my project planning...

Comment

I see my own invoices
                Fairy nuffski. I'll shut up now.

(Just about every site I have been on, the procurement team are careful to not let anyone know what they are paying for contractors and we PMs have been given a set of rates per job role to use for costing. The only time I have had sight of what my agent was charging was an MoD site where the Chief Accountant - who hated me - said in a meeting "And we're paying £xxx per day for that advice are we?" where £xxx was 66% more than I was getting.)

Comment

Ah the joys of knowing what rate your colleagues on. How much effort did it take to 'see' the job requisition?

When you say the job ad, it isn't that common to take someone on at the rate offered in the ad. I havn't had what was offered in the last 3 contracts.

In my opinion you just have to suck it up. This has been and will go on for ever. It is a fact of life, he gets more than you (12% aint exactly a fortune!) luck of the draw. I am sure that when it comes to renewal you will be quite rightly offered the same after a bit of bartering as they must have upped it due to rates rising etc if its like for like role. I wouldn't worry about it. The worst thing you can do right now is get your back up about it and let it eat you alive. Everyone gets paid something different, you might be paid more than someone else, thats life. If you let it eat you then your knackered even before they offer you what you want at renewal.

I gotta say I wouldn't be prepared to walk for 12% right now. Make it appear you are but walking out of a job for 12% on to a very long bench. You might get another in 3 months at a lesser rate. This 'be prepared to walk' is all well and good from people on a forum. Forget that and use some common sense at the time it happens.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My client co has just recruited an additional contract PM to take on some project work I had been managing, but have had to handover in order to manage some higher priority project work. There would be too much work for me alone.

However the new PM is being taken on at a 12% higher rate than I am on currently - I know because I have seen the approved job requisition and job ad for the role.

My contract expires at the end of Feb and all things being well I am hoping to be offered another extension. Should I sit tight and look to negotitate at renewal, or say something to my agent now (now I mean in Jan), or just accept it and do nothing ?

Just to add I am willing to call the clientco/agent bluff if they tell me to do one.
                    If I've read the above correct, your impression of a higher rate is based on the advertisment for the role. But, an advertised higher rate doesnt mean the other PM has got more than you.

And so what if he has, you're not a permie so there will always be differences in rate. As in all these cases though, ask for more and be prepared to walk.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X