PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a European appliance to a UK plug

wurzel
20th December 2009, 11:58
I know sweet fa about electrics so apologies if this sounds like a stupid question but I've been told that I can wire a European appliance to a UK plug. Haven't got a clue what wire goes to which terminal in the plug, they are not colour coded. Furthermore, when I was using this in Spain it didn't matter what way round the 2 pin plug went so it would appear it doesn't matter what way round I wire it up - but I know that can't be the case.

HairyArsedBloke
20th December 2009, 12:02
Connect all to the Live pin and then another wire from the Live to the Neutral pin. DON'T Connect anything to the Earth pin. That should sort you out. :eek

Diver
20th December 2009, 12:07
Connect all to the Live pin and then another wire from the Live to the Neutral pin. DON'T Connect anything to the Earth pin. That should sort you out. :eek

Newsflash (No Pun Intended)

HAB arrested and charged with Negligent Homicide :smokin

Troll
20th December 2009, 12:17
Plugs are for wussies...two spent matches - strip off 1" from each wire and insert into horizontal slots ( use screwdriver into vertical slot to open shrouds in horizontal slots) hold wires in place with match sticks and switch on

HTH

Diver
20th December 2009, 12:19
Plugs are for wussies...two spent matches - strip off 1" from each wire and insert into horizontal slots ( use screwdriver into vertical slot to open shrouds in horizontal slots) hold wires in place with match sticks and switch on

HTH

Do You push the sulphured head of the match into the slots?

Ps. would safety matches be advisable?

:eyes

Troll
20th December 2009, 12:22
Do You push the sulphured head of the match into the slots?

Ps. would safety matches be advisable?

:eyesI think the clue was in the word "spent"

HTH

wurzel
20th December 2009, 12:28

I'll go with this one then. Just a bit perturbed by the smiley! Thanks.

Diver
20th December 2009, 12:28
I think the clue was in the word "spent"

HTH

Er!

:emb

So the smoke and flame currently (No pun intended) coming from my newly wired in lead is the result of my not reading your post properly :D

Troll
20th December 2009, 12:32
Er!

:emb

So the smoke and flame currently (No pun intended) coming from my newly wired in lead is the result of my not reading your post properly :DI hope you got the polarity right... a 50 /50 chance otherwise your CD player will run backwards!
Like the test for a working 9v battery, use your tongue to see which of the terminals is live and which is neutral

ctdctd
20th December 2009, 13:01

Hm........ Wurzel's gone a bit quiet.

Note to (ex?) Wurzel - never believe anything you read on the Internet :eek

P.S. 1 wire to Live, 1 wire to Neutral, job done

AtW
20th December 2009, 13:29
And whatever you do ...

DON'T CUT THE BLUE WIRE!

HTH

Paddy
20th December 2009, 13:41
I know sweet fa about electrics so apologies if this sounds like a stupid question but I've been told that I can wire a European appliance to a UK plug. Haven't got a clue what wire goes to which terminal in the plug, they are not colour coded. Furthermore, when I was using this in Spain it didn't matter what way round the 2 pin plug went so it would appear it doesn't matter what way round I wire it up - but I know that can't be the case.

Is your European plug two pin or two pin + earth? (Earth could be a pin or a hole)
It is normal to have a double pole switch and double insulation on European equipment thus avoiding polarity. If you have the Euro two pin + earth (three wires) then the live wire is on the right hand side of the European wall socket.

If you only have two pins and no earth and the TWO wires are not colour coded; polarity won't matter.

The above only applies to European equipment, not stuff made in China or USA etc.

Alternatives,
Their as BS plugs that have build in adaptors. (I have one on my laptop lead (£10))
Buy a European socket and fix it in your house. (My Friend’s house has this)
Buy a European extension lead and fit a BS plug to it. (This is what I do)

HairyArsedBloke
20th December 2009, 13:48
And whatever you do ...

DON'T CUT THE BLUE WIRE!

HTH

OR THE RED ONE

Paddy
20th December 2009, 13:56
OR THE RED ONE

... run if it starts ticking

Clippy
20th December 2009, 14:10

"I'm too old for this sh!t".

--- Danny Glover ---

ctdctd
20th December 2009, 14:12

No you don't - put it in a bucket of slighty warm water.

You only run if it STOPS ticking.:freaky:

SueEllen
20th December 2009, 14:19
:confused:

Why don't you just buy a European to UK adaptor and plug the European plug into it?

That's what I've done with my Oz and European acquired stuff. Just avoid buying them in airports or Boots as they are a rip off.

Diver
20th December 2009, 14:48
I hope you got the polarity right... a 50 /50 chance otherwise your CD player will run backwards!
Like the test for a working 9v battery, use your tongue to see which of the terminals is live and which is neutral

I have always (Seriously) done that. I stopped earlier this year when I read that a bloke had been killed doing it :eek:

I think it may be the cause of the Brain damage :smokin

Paddy
20th December 2009, 15:12
Slightly off topic: On the old valve radios there was often a notice stating “Do not replace or shorten the mains lead”. I could never work out the reason why until recently when I read that in order to cut costs the mains lead was infact a carbon resistor in order to drop the voltage. That also explains why the leads used to get hot!

TimberWolf
20th December 2009, 17:37

Probably best to use a proper adaptor.

Has the UK got the best electricity (nice high voltage) and plugs (tough, polarised, fused and an earth wire) in the entire world?

How come we are allowed unearthed two pronged euro style ones in wet environments like bathrooms though :confused:

Troll
20th December 2009, 18:08
I have always (Seriously) done that. I stopped earlier this year when I read that a bloke had been killed doing it :eek:

I think it may be the cause of the Brain damage :smokinI hope you're joking...:eek

Tarquin Farquhar
20th December 2009, 18:15
Probably best to use a proper adaptor.

Has the UK got the best electricity (nice high voltage) and plugs (tough, polarised, fused and an earth wire) in the entire world?

How come we are allowed unearthed two pronged euro style ones in wet environments like bathrooms though :confused:We only have fused plugs because we developed ring mains, to save copper in rebuilding after the war. If you have proper wiring and the right value of fuse or trip for each spur, you don't need individual fuses.

You don't need polarised wiring unless you are economising by having only single-pole switches on your appliances. The Germans deliberately designed their whole system to be polarity-independent (I should say phase-independent), which removes one other thing that can go wrong.

You don't need earthing if you have proper insulation, which is better.

And the 2-prong sockets in bathrooms are specifically designed to trip if you plug in anything more than a shaver or toothbrush charger.

BTW I still have, as a souvenir, a plug that you would wire up yourself, then plug into a LIGHT BULB SOCKET. Don't tell me our electrics are the best!

BTW Wurzel, you have indeed been given potentially fatal "advice" here. I don't think that's funny, myself. Search elsewhere, or PM me if you like (not that you should trust me either).

HairyArsedBloke
20th December 2009, 18:26
BTW I still have, as a souvenir, a plug that you would wire up yourself, then plug into a LIGHT BULB SOCKET.

My grandmother had her iron wired to one and she had an adaptor in her light that allowed for a light bulb and for one of these plugs too.

Even in those days, the 60's, young HAB thought that it was a dangerous thing to do.

NickFitz
20th December 2009, 18:41

Oh dear... (http://forums.contractoruk.com/members/wurzel.html)

Last Activity: Today 12:28

This doesn't seem to be playing out too well :frown

wurzel
20th December 2009, 20:35
:confused:

Why don't you just buy a European to UK adaptor and plug the European plug into it?

That's what I've done with my Oz and European acquired stuff. Just avoid buying them in airports or Boots as they are a rip off.

I did, but I knackered it because the one I had couldn't handle the wattage.

wurzel
20th December 2009, 20:38

Cheers HAB, my house has just burned down.

Cliphead
20th December 2009, 20:39

No in-laws at Christmas :banana:

HairyArsedBloke
20th December 2009, 20:41

No in-laws at Christmas :banana:

No probs. Happy to help.

Diver
21st December 2009, 00:36
I hope you're joking...:eek

Nope!

And I check if the mains wire is still live by flicking it quickly with my middle finger (Very Quickly) you only get a little jolt like that :smokin

Paddy
21st December 2009, 08:49
Nope!

And I check if the mains wire is still live by flicking it quickly with my middle finger (Very Quickly) you only get a little jolt like that :smokin

Silly things I did as a kid. My bedside light cable snapped in two so I regularly twisted the wires together when live. I discovered that electricity produced sparks. I connected a radio speaker direct to the mains hoping it would make a big sound; it did plus it had smoke. I wired up electric lights in the garage and discovered the wiring them in series makes them all dim.

The kids of today don't learn these things.

Diver
21st December 2009, 10:03
Silly things I did as a kid. My bedside light cable snapped in two so I regularly twisted the wires together when live. I discovered that electricity produced sparks. I connected a radio speaker direct to the mains hoping it would make a big sound; it did plus it had smoke. I wired up electric lights in the garage and discovered the wiring them in series makes them all dim.

The kids of today don't learn these things.

They have no sense of adventure :D

RichardCranium
21st December 2009, 12:51
I check if the mains wire is still live by flicking it quickly with my middle finger (Very Quickly) you only get a little jolt like that :smokinAn experienced and qualified electrician friend of mine routinely does that to make absolutely sure he has disconnected the circuit before working on it. It is what he was taught to do.

I discovered that the day he told us he had found out his shed was connected to next door's mains, not his.

RichardCranium
21st December 2009, 12:52
I connected a radio speaker direct to the mains hoping it would make a big sound; it did plus it had smoke.And a 12v motor connected to the copper connectors on a 2-pin extension lead does NOT just run faster. :eyes

Diver
21st December 2009, 12:53
An experienced and qualified electrician friend of mine routinely does that to make absolutely sure he has disconnected the circuit before working on it. It is what he was taught to do.

I discovered that the day he told us he had found out his shed was connected to next door's mains, not his.

Er!

I wasn't joking. I actually do that :D

NotAllThere
21st December 2009, 13:30
They have no sense of adventure :D

But a larger percentage make it to breeding age.

Er!

I wasn't joking. I actually do that :D I get someone else to do it. Having had one shock from the mains, I'm not doing it again.

Diver
21st December 2009, 13:36

Unfortunately

I get someone else to do it. Having had one shock from the mains, I'm not doing it again.

It's Bracing! Like a cold shower after a hot bath :smokin

Tarquin Farquhar
21st December 2009, 13:37

I get someone else to do it. Having had one shock from the mains, I'm not doing it again.Having had one shock from an old CRT TV Line Output Transformer, I keep well away from moving electrons. That was a real surprise.

Diver
21st December 2009, 13:38
Having had one shock from an old CRT TV Line Output Transformer, I keep well away from moving electrons. That was a real surprise.

Now I wouldn't touch one of those with a long rubber pole :D