• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am paying too much tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am paying too much tax

Hello,

I just received my draft accounts back from my accountants. I feel that the tax that they think I should pay is way too much compared to my other colleagues. So my other colleagues earn £100 per day more than I do, and their draft accounts came to be 6K less than mine. What could be the issue?

Many thanks.

There's a special tax that accountant can apply in certain circumstances.
    "Muppet tax" as it's known is quite complex and often if you try to dig a bit a deeper and challenge it then you end up with higher tax bill not lower....

I'd leave well alone if I were you

Comment

Bit short on details for serious answers. Corporation tax will be 20 to 21% of the profit depending on what your company year was.

Haven't you got a sheet at the end giving some details of what has been accounted for in the profit? Otherwise, you must know what expenses etc you sent the accountant. Profit is invoices - (gross salary + company NI + expenses + any depreciation on computers etc). All excluding any VAT.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by kellycell View Post
        Hello,

I just received my draft accounts back from my accountants. I feel that the tax that they think I should pay is way too much compared to my other colleagues. So my other colleagues earn £100 per day more than I do, and their draft accounts came to be 6K less than mine. What could be the issue?

Many thanks.
        Probably expenses claims particularly if they're making very large contributions into a Ltd Co funded SIPP or travelling a long way every day and you aren't. Of course, they could just be winding you up.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Also, if you're a genuine business what on earth has your colleagues pay got to do with yours. you're a contractor, you can't start crying to mummy because your friends have got something better than you

Comment

Originally posted by MarkOD View Post
            Also, if you're a genuine business what on earth has your colleagues pay got to do with yours. you're a contractor, you can't start crying to mummy because your friends have got something better than you
            Again, why so much venom on these forums??? Kelly, just pay the tax and at the end of the year, when you submit your tax return, if you have overpaid, you will get it back, your colleagues may have underpaid and will have to stump up. Leave it be for now.

Comment

What everyone else said to be honest. Judging by the basic information in your question I would guess your colleagues have a much better grasp of their finances and have done all they can to reduce their tax liabilities. There is always the chance they are shooting from the hip and over claiming so will be in trouble when they get caught but again that is none of your business.

Get some books out, read the contractor forums/websites and gen yourself up with what you can do. You can't trust your accountant to hold your hand. It's up to you to maximise your returns.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Why do you and your colleagues know so much about each others finances?
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Also - if it's your first year you may be making payments on account for next year which will prob be the cause of the difference between yours and your colleagues tax, esp if they have been doing it for a while.
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

northernladuk is right. Most accountants in my experience aren't very proactive, they just answer any questions you ask and deal with what you send them.

I probably lost out a couple of K on petrol on a company van I never knew I could claim for before I started taking a more active interest. The accountant knew I had a company van but never asked why I wasn't providing petrol costs. Do a bit of research, starting with booklets 490 and 480 from HMRC site.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X