• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Health and safety experts warn: don't clear icy pavements, you could get sued

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health and safety experts warn: don't clear icy pavements, you could get sued

Heavy snow, low temperatures and a lack of gritting mean pavements throughout the country are too slippery to walk on safely. Hospitals have been struggling to cope with rising numbers of patients who have broken bones after falling on icy paths.

Yet the professional body that represents health and safety experts has issued a warning to businesses not to grit public paths – despite the fact that Britain is in the grip of its coldest winter for nearly half a century.

Under current legislation, householders and companies open themselves up to legal action if they try to clear a public pavement outside their property. If they leave the path in a treacherous condition, they cannot be sued.

Councils, who have a responsibility for public highways, say they have no legal obligation to clear pavements.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents expressed its disappointment that public safety was being neglected because of fears of possible litigation. A spokesman said: “This is not showing a particularly good attitude. It would be much safer for the public to clear paths, even if it’s not on their property.”

But the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health, the professional body representing 36,000 health and safety experts, gave warning that this could lead to legal action.

n guidance to its members, who advise businesses through*out the country, it said: “When clearing snow and ice, it is probably worth stopping at the boundaries of the property under your control.”

Clearing a public path “can lead to an action for damages against the company, e.g. if members of the public, assuming that the area is still clear of ice and thus safe to walk on, slip and injure themselves”.

More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/we...erts-warn-dont

----------

Old news - this has been bruited about every time there's a cold snap for donkeys' years. (Does anybody know for sure where, if anywhere, the apostrophe is supposed to go in that expression? I'm uncertain every time I use it.)

I have yet to hear of somebody having an action brought against them in such circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      I have yet to hear of somebody having an action brought against them in such circumstances.
      Post your home address and you'll hear from andyW?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        .....donkeys' years. (Does anybody know for sure where, if anywhere, the apostrophe is supposed to go in that expression? I'm uncertain every time I use it.)
        Seems like it's "donkey's years".

Comment

Originally posted by Toolpusher View Post
          Sound's about right
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Toolpusher View Post

I'm intrigued by this bit:
            "Lively Laddie, a donkey who had lived up to his name for many years while plying his trade on Blackpool Pleasure Beach was, until his death at age 62, a contender for the 'oldest living donkey' title."

You'd think they could at least let us know how far short he fell, who the worthy contender was... and how long his ears were

Comment

Boll*cks to that.
              I've cleared the path outside my house. It was like an ice rink.

Comment

Originally posted by worzelGummidge View Post
                Boll*cks to that.
                I've cleared the path outside my house. It was like an ice rink.
                I own the ground right out to the edge of the road, so no pavement clearing problems

Need a JCB to clear the drive though
                Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

OK so we have 6/7 inches (15/18 cm) of snow.
                  My driveway opening to the pavement is 8 feet wide and the pavement is 3 feet?
                  So approximately I have a volume of around 12 cubic feet of snow to move - but everywhere else is covered in snow too, so where exactly do you put it? If you put it on the road it creates huge piles for cars to get stuck in, I started to clear the pavement in front of my house, but gave up as whatever I did with the snow, seemed to cause even more problems!
                  Last edited by Pogle; 10 January 2010, 09:19. Reason: comma
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I will point out that by that reasoning, if you drive over the snow outside your driveway, you compress it to ice and create ruts. this creates a slip and trip hazard.

Could you face litigation if someone trips or slips?
                    Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Working...
                    X