• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End terrace or mid?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End terrace or mid?

I have been looking at buying a pad in a mill converstion and the options are the gable end pad or the one next to it which is obviously sandwiched.

The gable end has extra windows and the whole complex is built of thick stone as mills were.

Does anyone have any advice on which of the two would be better if they are both available and at the same price?

Is the extra light from the windows better but can get cold/more expensive to heat having an outter wall? I am assuming they are well enough converted not to have paper thin walls between each pad, dangerous I know but they look well done so occasional noise shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Conventional wisdom is that end terrace is better.

Maybe a little more to heat, but more private, more light, less noise, better resale value.

Comment

If it's been done recently, it will be insulated up the yingyang so I wouldn't worry about the heat loss too much. If you're lucky it will have that K glass already.

If available at the same price, I would always choose the end.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Conventional wisdom is that end terrace is better.

Maybe a little more to heat, but more private, more light, less noise, better resale value.
        I'd agree with that thinking.

It could be argued the gable end is effectively semi detatched where as the next one is mid terraced with the subsequent added value attached.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
          If it's been done recently, it will be insulated up the yingyang so I wouldn't worry about the heat loss too much. If you're lucky it will have that K glass already.

If available at the same price, I would always choose the end.
          It not about the heat loss, it's about heat gain if you have a mid-terrace house.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

a minor point, but you might want to think about where the sun will be in the summer

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

End terrace you only get one neighbour, but you might get noise from passer's by, depending on proximity to roads and so on.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I would prefer the end terrace to live, but if it was to rent possibly the mid as less maintenance and kept warmer etc, but I suppose it depends on the location and setting etc.
                "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Some end of terrace houses have gardens that adjoin a neighbouring side road.

I had one once. Wasn't fun sitting there in the summer listening to traffic going by.

So definitely mid terrace for me.
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

End terraces are more likely to be targeted by thieves. My mates end terrace was broken into three times in two years. Although I have no statistical or scientific evidence to back my statement whatsoever, it is a fact.

Comment

Working...
                    X