• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do Agents really work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do Agents really work?

I used to work within a large company and was contracted out to clients by them. I left to become a contractor (freelance as it were) and I seem to get nothing but hassle with agencies.

Example: Calling and then you can't contact them about the job, misinformation about a job, putting me forward for jobs I haven't agreed to, etc.

Is this the norm? Does no one regulate them? Does anyone know a decent agency that deals in BI that isn't out to mess contractors around?! A few questions but I seem to be getting no where with agencies!

No, sorry, most of them are like that. The service to our side is poor because we are expendable - unless you have some really obscure /in-demand /scarce skill that someone wants.

Put it this way - if you have to provide three names for one role and you have about 500 available to choose from, why bother being nice and why spend company time talking to someone who doesn't matter when you should be chasing clients for more leads?

They're basically salesmen, subject t the usual bussiness pressures. The only real difference is that their product tries to have a mind of its own!

Comment

And I thought it was me!

Thanks for the response! I had a good contract (short but good) and then absolutely jack after that. Left the client on a high note as well - so find it frustrating at not being able to get another decent deal.

I guess I have to keep plugging away and hope the right role turns up. Tough game this (and I have had to learn fast) but I enjoy the variety

Cheers!

Comment

Re: And I thought it was me!

The second contract is normally harder to find than the first.

This is because you were relieved to get the first one, the second one you are more savvy and a little more choosier.

Good luck.

Comment

Re: And I thought it was me!

Keep plugging away.

You'll get there in the end.

Or end up fixing fruit machines like me.

Comment

Alternative Career

Funny you should say fruit machines - I am well placed to do that as there are several in town! Otherwise I had considered getting some donkeys to do beach trips or setting up a deck chair business!

"Can I hire a deck chair for the day sonny?"

"Certainly madam, that will be £45 per hour please. That includes a back up chair in case your fails, continual monitoring of your tan and a system health check at the end of the day with a Mr Whippy ice cream while we discuss an extension to the contract..."

Mmmm - IT doesn't quite make the transition to the beach

Thank you all for your support and kind words as well...

Comment

Re: Alternative Career

If you've had kind words, it's probly coz they're lulling you into a false sense of security....

Comment

rates

see "Agency margin" post.

Comment

Re: Alternative Career

system health check at the end of the day
                  Ewwww. You don't mean Brighton beach bum laydees do you? Classy.

Comment

Working...
                  X